Go with the Flow: A GAS model for Predicting Intra-daily Volume Shares
The Volume Weighted Average Price (VWAP) mixes volumes and prices at intra-daily intervals and is a benchmark measure frequently used to evaluate a trader's performance. Under suitable assumptions, splitting a daily order according to ex-ante volume predictions is a good strategy to replicate the VWAP. To bypass possible problems generated by local trends in volumes, we propose a novel Generalized Autoregressive Score (GAS) model for predicting volume shares (relative to the daily total), inspired by the empirical regularities of the observed series (intra-daily periodicity pattern, residual serial dependence). An application to six NYSE tickers confirms the suitability of the model proposed in capturing the features of intra-daily dynamics of volume shares.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2014|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Viale G.B. Morgagni, 59 - I-50134 Firenze - Italy|
Phone: +39 055 2751500
Fax: +39 055 2751525
Web page: http://www.disia.unifi.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian T. Brownlees & Fabrizio Cipollini & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2011.
"Intra-daily Volume Modeling and Prediction for Algorithmic Trading,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 9(3), pages 489-518, Summer.
- Christian T. Brownlees & Fabrizio Cipollini & Giampiero M. Gallo, 2009. "Intra-daily Volume Modeling and Prediction for Algorithmic Trading," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2009_01, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Serge Darolles & Gaëlle Le Fol, 2003. "Trading Volume and Arbitrage," Working Papers 2003-46, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gaëlle Le Fol & Serge Darolles, 2014. "Trading volume and Arbitrage," Post-Print halshs-01061280, HAL.
- Alfonso Dufour & Robert F. Engle, 2000. "Time and the Price Impact of a Trade," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2467-2498, December.
- Dufour, Alfonso & Engle, Robert F, 1999. "Time and the Price Impact of a Trade," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt62c0h04j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert Engle, 2002. "New frontiers for arch models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 425-446.
- Brownlees, C.T. & Gallo, G.M., 2006. "Financial econometric analysis at ultra-high frequency: Data handling concerns," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2232-2245, December.
- Christian T. Brownlees & Giampiero Gallo, 2006. "Financial Econometric Analysis at Ultra–High Frequency: Data Handling Concerns," Econometrics Working Papers Archive wp2006_03, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti".
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Huang, Ruihong, 2012. "The market impact of a limit order," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 501-522.
- Nikolaus Hautsch & Ruihong Huang, 2009. "The Market Impact of a Limit Order," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2009-051, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Hautsch, Nikolaus & Huang, Ruihong, 2009. "The market impact of a limit order," CFS Working Paper Series 2009/23, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Bialkowski, Jedrzej & Darolles, Serge & Le Fol, Gaëlle, 2008. "Improving VWAP strategies: A dynamic volume approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1709-1722, September.
- Jedrzej Białkowski & Serge Darolles & Gaëlle Le Fol, 2006. "Improving VWAP strategies: A dynamical volume approach," Documents de recherche 06-08, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Jedrzej Bialkowski & Serge Darolles & Gaëlle Le Fol, 2008. "Improving VWAP strategies: A dynamic volume approach," Post-Print halshs-00676946, HAL.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-144, January.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-263, July.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," NBER Technical Working Papers 0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James McCulloch & Vladimir Kazakov, 2007. "Optimal VWAP Trading Strategy and Relative Volume," Research Paper Series 201, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1985. "Maximum Likelihood Specification Testing and Conditional Moment Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1047-1070, September.
- Konishi, Hizuru, 2002. "Optimal slice of a VWAP trade," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 197-221, April.
- Drew Creal & Siem Jan Koopman & André Lucas, 2013. "Generalized Autoregressive Score Models With Applications," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(5), pages 777-795, 08.
- Berkowitz, Stephen A & Logue, Dennis E & Noser, Eugene A, Jr, 1988. " The Total Cost of Transactions on the NYSE," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 97-112, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fir:econom:wp2014_01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Calvori)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.