Improving VWAP strategies: A dynamical volume approach
In this paper, we present a new methodology for modeling intraday volume which allows for a reduction of the execution risk in VWAP (Volume Weighted Average Price) orders. The results are obtained for the all stocks included in the CAC40 index at the beginning of September 2004. The idea of considered models is based on the decomposition of traded volume into two parts: one reflects volume changes due to market evolutions, the second describes the stock specific volume pattern. The dynamics of the specific part of volume is depicted by ARMA, and SETAR models. The implementation of VWAP strategies imposes some dynamical adjustments within the day.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, bld Francois Mitterand, 91025 Evry Cedex|
Phone: +33 1 69 47 71 77
Fax: +33 1 69 47 70 50
Web page: http://epee.univ-evry.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manganelli, Simone, 2005.
"Duration, volume and volatility impact of trades,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 377-399, November.
- Manganelli, Simone, 2002. "Duration, volume and volatility impact of trades," Working Paper Series 0125, European Central Bank.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1504, Econometric Society.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joanna & Le Fol, Gaelle, 1999. "Intra-day market activity," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 193-226, August.
- Gaëlle Le Fol & Christian Gourieroux, 1999. "Intra-day market activity," Post-Print halshs-00536268, HAL.
- Biais, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre & Spatt, Chester, 1995. " An Empirical Analysis of the Limit Order Book and the Order Flow in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1655-1689, December.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- James McCulloch, 2007. "Relative volume as a doubly stochastic binomial point process," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 55-62.
- James McCulloch, 2005. "Relative Volume as a Doubly Stochastic Binomial Point Process," Research Paper Series 146, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Konishi, Hizuru, 2002. "Optimal slice of a VWAP trade," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 197-221, April.
- Robert F. Engle, 2000. "The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996. "The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data," NBER Working Papers 5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W & Wang, Jiang, 2000. "Trading Volume: Definitions, Data Analysis, and Implications of Portfolio Theory," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 257-300.
- Andrew W. Lo & Jiang W. Wang, 2000. "Trading Volume: Definitions, Data Analysis, and Implications of Portfolio Theory," NBER Working Papers 7625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Inferential Theory for Factor Models of Large Dimensions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 135-171, January.
- Serge Darolles & Gaëlle Le Fol, 2003. "Trading Volume and Arbitrage," Working Papers 2003-46, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Gaëlle Le Fol & Serge Darolles, 2014. "Trading volume and Arbitrage," Post-Print halshs-01061280, HAL.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/12729 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gaëlle Le Fol & Mercier Ludovic, 1998. "Time Deformation: Definition and Comparisons," Post-Print halshs-00586097, HAL.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5478 is not listed on IDEAS
- Darrat, Ali F. & Rahman, Shafiqur & Zhong, Maosen, 2003. "Intraday trading volume and return volatility of the DJIA stocks: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2035-2043, October.
- Berkowitz, Stephen A & Logue, Dennis E & Noser, Eugene A, Jr, 1988. " The Total Cost of Transactions on the NYSE," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 97-112, March.
- Andersen, Torben G, 1996. " Return Volatility and Trading Volume: An Information Flow Interpretation of Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 169-204, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eve:wpaper:06-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.