Improving VWAP strategies: A dynamical volume approach
In this paper, we present a new methodology for modeling intraday volume which allows for a reduction of the execution risk in VWAP (Volume Weighted Average Price) orders. The results are obtained for the all stocks included in the CAC40 index at the beginning of September 2004. The idea of considered models is based on the decomposition of traded volume into two parts: one reflects volume changes due to market evolutions, the second describes the stock specific volume pattern. The dynamics of the specific part of volume is depicted by ARMA, and SETAR models. The implementation of VWAP strategies imposes some dynamical adjustments within the day.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4, bld Francois Mitterand, 91025 Evry Cedex|
Phone: +33 1 69 47 71 77
Fax: +33 1 69 47 70 50
Web page: http://epee.univ-evry.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002.
"Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Tom Doan, . "BAING: RATS procedure to estimate factors in a factor model using Bai-Ng formulas," Statistical Software Components RTS00012, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1504, Econometric Society.
- Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joanna & Le Fol, Gaelle, 1999.
"Intra-day market activity,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 193-226, August.
- Andersen, Torben G, 1996. " Return Volatility and Trading Volume: An Information Flow Interpretation of Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 169-204, March.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/12729 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
- Serge Darolles & Gaëlle Le Fol, 2003.
"Trading Volume and Arbitrage,"
2003-46, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996.
"The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gaëlle Le Fol & Mercier Ludovic, 1998. "Time Deformation: Definition and Comparisons," Post-Print halshs-00586097, HAL.
- Biais, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre & Spatt, Chester, 1995. " An Empirical Analysis of the Limit Order Book and the Order Flow in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1655-89, December.
- Andrew W. Lo & Jiang W. Wang, 2000.
"Trading Volume: Definitions, Data Analysis, and Implications of Portfolio Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
7625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W & Wang, Jiang, 2000. "Trading Volume: Definitions, Data Analysis, and Implications of Portfolio Theory," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 257-300.
- Manganelli, Simone, 2002.
"Duration, volume and volatility impact of trades,"
Working Paper Series
0125, European Central Bank.
- James McCulloch, 2007.
"Relative volume as a doubly stochastic binomial point process,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 55-62.
- James McCulloch, 2005. "Relative Volume as a Doubly Stochastic Binomial Point Process," Research Paper Series 146, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Darrat, Ali F. & Rahman, Shafiqur & Zhong, Maosen, 2003. "Intraday trading volume and return volatility of the DJIA stocks: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2035-2043, October.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/5478 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Inferential Theory for Factor Models of Large Dimensions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 135-171, January.
- Konishi, Hizuru, 2002. "Optimal slice of a VWAP trade," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 197-221, April.
- Berkowitz, Stephen A & Logue, Dennis E & Noser, Eugene A, Jr, 1988. " The Total Cost of Transactions on the NYSE," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 97-112, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eve:wpaper:06-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.