Improving VWAP strategies: A dynamical volume approach
In this paper, we present a new methodology for modeling intraday volume which allows for a reduction of the execution risk in VWAP (Volume Weighted Average Price) orders. The results are obtained for the all stocks included in the CAC40 index at the beginning of September 2004. The idea of considered models is based on the decomposition of traded volume into two parts: one reflects volume changes due to market evolutions, the second describes the stock specific volume pattern. The dynamics of the specific part of volume is depicted by ARMA, and SETAR models. The implementation of VWAP strategies imposes some dynamical adjustments within the day.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 1 69 47 71 77
Fax: +33 1 69 47 70 50
Web page: http://epee.univ-evry.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andersen, Torben G, 1996. " Return Volatility and Trading Volume: An Information Flow Interpretation of Stochastic Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 169-204, March.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000.
"Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1504, Econometric Society.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2002. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 191-221, January.
- Jushan Bai & Serena Ng, 2000. "Determining the Number of Factors in Approximate Factor Models," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 440, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Manganelli, Simone, 2002.
"Duration, volume and volatility impact of trades,"
Working Paper Series
0125, European Central Bank.
- Lo, Andrew W & Wang, Jiang, 2000.
"Trading Volume: Definitions, Data Analysis, and Implications of Portfolio Theory,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 257-300.
- Andrew W. Lo & Jiang W. Wang, 2000. "Trading Volume: Definitions, Data Analysis, and Implications of Portfolio Theory," NBER Working Papers 7625, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Biais, Bruno & Hillion, Pierre & Spatt, Chester, 1995. " An Empirical Analysis of the Limit Order Book and the Order Flow in the Paris Bourse," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1655-89, December.
- James McCulloch, 2005.
"Relative Volume as a Doubly Stochastic Binomial Point Process,"
Research Paper Series
146, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- James McCulloch, 2007. "Relative volume as a doubly stochastic binomial point process," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(1), pages 55-62.
- Jushan Bai, 2003. "Inferential Theory for Factor Models of Large Dimensions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 135-171, January.
- Le Fol, Gaëlle & Mercier, Ludovic, 1998. "Time Deformation: Definition and Comparisons," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12729, Paris Dauphine University.
- Berkowitz, Stephen A & Logue, Dennis E & Noser, Eugene A, Jr, 1988. " The Total Cost of Transactions on the NYSE," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 97-112, March.
- Darrat, Ali F. & Rahman, Shafiqur & Zhong, Maosen, 2003. "Intraday trading volume and return volatility of the DJIA stocks: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(10), pages 2035-2043, October.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Serge Darolles & Gaëlle Le Fol, 2003. "Trading Volume and Arbitrage," Working Papers 2003-46, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996.
"The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joanna & Le Fol, Gaëlle, 1999.
"Intra-day market activity,"
Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine
123456789/5478, Paris Dauphine University.
- Konishi, Hizuru, 2002. "Optimal slice of a VWAP trade," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 197-221, April.
- Tauchen, George E & Pitts, Mark, 1983. "The Price Variability-Volume Relationship on Speculative Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 485-505, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eve:wpaper:06-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.