Seigniorage and the welfare cost of inflation: evidence from an intertemporal model of money and consumption
This paper empirically investigates the restrictions embodied in a popular dynamic monetary model for the cross relations between consumption, money holdings, inflation and assets’ returns using quarterly data for the high-inflation economy in Israel, 1970–1988. The model considered includes money in agents’ utility function. A set of the estimated parameters is used in the analysis to assess the model’s quantitative implications for seigniorage and for the welfare costs of inflation. The estimates are found to account well for the observed stability over time of seigniorage in Israel and imply sizeable welfare costs of inflation.
|Date of creation:||1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (612) 204-5000
Web page: http://minneapolisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.minneapolisfed.org/pubs/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allan Drazen & Elhanan Helpman, 1986.
"Inflationary Consequences of Anticipated Macroeconomic Policies,"
NBER Working Papers
2006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hahn, Frank, 1990. "On Inflation," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(4), pages 15-25, Winter.
- Finn, M.G. & Hoffman, D.L. & Schlagenhauf, D.E., 1988.
"Intertemporal Asset-Pricing Relationships In Barter And Monetary Economies: An Empirical Analysis,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
8805, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Finn, Mary G. & Hoffman, Dennis L. & Schlagenhauf, Don E., 1990. "Intertemporal asset-pricing relationships in barter and monetary economies An empirical analysis," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 431-451, June.
- Finn, M.G. & Hoffman, D.L. & Schlagenhauf, D.E., 1989. "Intertemporal Asset-Pricing Relationships In Barter And Monetary Economies: An Empirical Analysis," RCER Working Papers 208, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1982. "Generalized Instrumental Variables Estimation of Nonlinear Rational Expectations Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1269-86, September.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991.
"The Distortions in a Neoclassical Monetary Economy,"
91-01, Rochester, Business - General.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Hansen, Gary D., 1992. "Tax distortions in a neoclassical monetary economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 290-316, December.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen, 1991. "Tax distortions in a neoclassical monetary economy," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 38, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Cooley, T.F. & Hansen, G.D., 1991. "Tax Distortions in a Neoclassical Monetary Economy," RCER Working Papers 265, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Singleton, Kenneth J., 1985. "Testing specifications of economic agents' intertemporal optimum problems in the presence of alternative models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 391-413.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:105:y:1990:i:2:p:353-74 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:103:y:1988:i:1:p:51-78 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1987.
"Inflation: Theory and Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
2312, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin S. Eichenbaum & Lars Peter Hansen & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1986.
"A Time Series Analysis of Representative Agent Models of Consumption andLeisure Choice Under Uncertainty,"
NBER Working Papers
1981, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bental, B. & Eckstein, Z., 1988.
"The Dynamics Of Inflation With Constant Deficit Under Expected Regime Change,"
35-88, Tel Aviv.
- Bental, Benjamin & Eckstein, Zvi, 1990. "The Dynamics of Inflation with Constant Deficit under Expected Regime Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 100(403), pages 1245-60, December.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I., 1985. "Money, deficits, and inflation," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 147-195, January.
- Sargent, Thomas J & Wallace, Neil, 1973. "Rational Expectations and the Dynamics of Hyperinflation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(2), pages 328-50, June.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Lucas, Robert E., 1981. "Discussion of : Stanley Fischer, "towards an understanding of the costs of inflation: II"," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 43-52, January.
- Feenstra, Robert C., 1986. "Functional equivalence between liquidity costs and the utility of money," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 271-291, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedmem:40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janelle Ruswick)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.