Risk Aversion at the Country Level
In this paper we provide estimates of the coefficient of relative risk aversion for 80 countries using data on self-reports of personal well-being from the Gallup World Poll. For most countries we cannot reject the null hypothesis that the coefficient of relative risk aversion equals 1. We conclude that our result supports the use of the log utility function in numerical simulations.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arie Kapteyn & Federica Teppa, 2009.
"Subjective Measures of Risk Aversion, Fixed Costs, and Portfolio Choice,"
DNB Working Papers
216, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Kapteyn, Arie & Teppa, Federica, 2011. "Subjective measures of risk aversion, fixed costs, and portfolio choice," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 564-580, August.
- Stephen Gordon & Pascal St-Amour, 2003.
"Asset Returns and State-Dependent Risk Preferences,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Gordon S. & St-Amour P., 2004. "Asset Returns and State-Dependent Risk Preferences," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 241-252, July.
- Gordon, Stephen & St-Amour, Pascal, 2003. "Asset Returns and State-Dependent Risk Preferences," Cahiers de recherche 0316, CIRPEE.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 1985.
"Consumer Durables and the Real Interest Rate,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 353-62, August.
- Szpiro, George G. & Outreville, Jean-Francois, 1988. "Relative risk aversion around the world : Further results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1, Supple), pages 127-128, January.
- Gasparini, Leonardo & Gluzmann, Pablo, 2009.
"Estimating income poverty and inequality from the Gallup World Poll: The case of Latin America and the Caribbean,"
42928, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Pablo Glüzmann, 2012. "Estimating Income Poverty and Inequality from the GallupWorld Poll: The case of Latin America and the Caribbean," Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 21(1), pages 3-27, March.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Pablo Gluzmann, 2009. "Estimating income poverty and inequality from the Gallup World Poll. The case of Latin America and the Caribbean," Working Papers 151, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Pablo Gluzmann, 2009. "Estimating Income Poverty and Inequality from the Gallup World Poll: The Case of Latin America and the Caribbean," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0083, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Gandelman, Néstor & Hernández-Murillo, Rubén, 2013.
"What do happiness and health satisfaction data tell us about relative risk aversion?,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 301-312.
- Néstor Gándelman & Rubén Hernández-Murillo, 2011. "What do happiness and health satisfaction data tell us about relative risk aversion?," Working Papers 2011-039, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2004.
"How Important is Methodology for the estimates of the determinants of Happiness?,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 641-659, 07.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2002. "How important is Methodology for the Estimates of the Determinants of Happiness?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-024/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Néstor Gandelman & Rafael Porzecanski, 2013. "Happiness Inequality: How Much is Reasonable?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 110(1), pages 257-269, January.
- Friend, Irwin & Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "The Demand for Risky Assets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 900-922, December.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Frijters, Paul & Shields, Michael A., 2007.
"Relative Income, Happiness and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2840, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andrew E. Clark & Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields, 2008. "Relative Income, Happiness, and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 95-144, March.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1983. "Stochastic Consumption, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Asset Returns," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 249-65, April.
- Geweke, John, 2001. "A note on some limitations of CRRA utility," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 341-345, June.
- Kenneth G. Stewart, 2011. "The Optimal Construction of Instruments in Nonlinear Regression: Implications for GMM Inference," Econometrics Working Papers 1107, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- George MacKerron, 2012. "Happiness Economics From 35 000 Feet," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(4), pages 705-735, 09.
- Raj Chetty, 2003.
"A New Method of Estimating Risk Aversion,"
NBER Working Papers
9988, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2014-005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.