Risk Aversion at the Country Level
In this paper we provide estimates of the coefficient of relative risk aversion for 80 countries using data on self-reports of personal well-being from the Gallup World Poll. For most countries we cannot reject the null hypothesis that the coefficient of relative risk aversion equals 1. We conclude that our result supports the use of the log utility function in numerical simulations.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gordon S. & St-Amour P., 2004.
"Asset Returns and State-Dependent Risk Preferences,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 241-252, July.
- Stephen Gordon & Pascal St-Amour, 2003. "Asset Returns and State-Dependent Risk Preferences," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-09, CIRANO.
- Gordon, Stephen & St-Amour, Pascal, 2003. "Asset Returns and State-Dependent Risk Preferences," Cahiers de recherche 0316, CIRPEE.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Pablo Gluzmann, 2009.
"Estimating Income Poverty and Inequality from the Gallup World Poll: The Case of Latin America and the Caribbean,"
CEDLAS, Working Papers
0083, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Pablo Glüzmann, 2012. "Estimating Income Poverty and Inequality from the GallupWorld Poll: The case of Latin America and the Caribbean," Journal of Income Distribution, Journal of Income Distribution, vol. 21(1), pages 3-27, March.
- Gasparini, Leonardo & Gluzmann, Pablo, 2009. "Estimating income poverty and inequality from the Gallup World Poll: The case of Latin America and the Caribbean," MPRA Paper 42928, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Pablo Gluzmann, 2009. "Estimating income poverty and inequality from the Gallup World Poll. The case of Latin America and the Caribbean," Working Papers 151, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 1985.
"Consumer Durables and the Real Interest Rate,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 353-62, August.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2004. "How Important is Methodology for the estimates of the determinants of Happiness?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 641-659, 07.
- Andrew E. Clark & Paul Frijters & Michael A. Shields, 2008.
"Relative Income, Happiness, and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 95-144, March.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Frijters, Paul & Shields, Michael A., 2007. "Relative Income, Happiness and Utility: An Explanation for the Easterlin Paradox and Other Puzzles," IZA Discussion Papers 2840, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Kapteyn, Arie & Teppa, Federica, 2011.
"Subjective measures of risk aversion, fixed costs, and portfolio choice,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 564-580, August.
- Arie Kapteyn & Federica Teppa, 2009. "Subjective Measures of Risk Aversion, Fixed Costs, and Portfolio Choice," DNB Working Papers 216, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Szpiro, George G. & Outreville, Jean-Francois, 1988. "Relative risk aversion around the world : Further results," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1, Supple), pages 127-128, January.
- Friend, Irwin & Blume, Marshall E, 1975. "The Demand for Risky Assets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 900-922, December.
- Néstor Gandelman & Rafael Porzecanski, 2013. "Happiness Inequality: How Much is Reasonable?," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 110(1), pages 257-269, January.
- Hansen, Lars Peter & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1983. "Stochastic Consumption, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Asset Returns," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 249-65, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2014-005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.