Unemployment insurance fraud and optimal monitoring
The most prevalent incentive problem in the U.S. unemployment insurance system is that individuals collect unemployment benefits while being gainfully employed. We show how the unemployment insurance authority can efficiently use a combination of tax/subsidy and monitoring to prevent such fraud. The optimal policy monitors the unemployed at fixed intervals. Employment tax is nonmonotonic: it increases between verifications but decreases after a verification. Unemployment benefits are relatively flat between verifications but decrease sharply after a verification.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David L. Fuller & B. Ravikumar & Yuzhe Zhang, 2015.
"Unemployment Insurance Fraud and Optimal Monitoring,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 249-90, April.
- David L. Fuller & B. Ravikumar & Yuzhe Zhang, 2012. "Unemployment insurance fraud and optimal monitoring," Working Papers 2012-024, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Yuzhe Zhang & B Ravikumar & David Fuller, 2014. "Unemployment Insurance Fraud and Optimal Monitoring," 2014 Meeting Papers 1191, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- David L. Fuller & B. Ravikumar & Yuzhe Zhang, 2012. "Unemployment insurance fraud," Economic Synopses, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Ravikumar, B & Zhang, Yuzhe, 2010.
"Optimal auditing in a dynamic model of tax compliance,"
22924, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ravikumar, B. & Zhang, Yuzhe, 2010. "Optimal Auditing in a Dynamic Model of Tax Compliance," MPRA Paper 23218, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhang, Yuzhe, 2009.
"Dynamic contracting with persistent shocks,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 635-675, March.
- Ofer Setty, 2013.
"Optimal Unemployment Insurance with Monitoring,"
2013 Meeting Papers
26, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pavoni, Nicola, 2007. "On optimal unemployment compensation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(6), pages 1612-1630, September.
- Álvarez-Parra, Fernando & Sánchez, Juan M., 2009.
"Unemployment insurance with a hidden labor market,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(7), pages 954-967, October.
- B. Ravikumar & Yuzhe Zhang, 2011.
"Optimal auditing and insurance in a dynamic model of tax compliance,"
2011-020, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Zhang, Yuzhe & Ravikumar, B., 2012. "Optimal auditing and insurance in a dynamic model of tax compliance," Theoretical Economics, Econometric Society, vol. 7(2), May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2012-024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.