A time-varying threshold STAR model of unemployment and the natural rate
Smooth-transition autoregressive (STAR) models have proven to be worthy competitors of Markov-switching models of regime shifts, but the assumption of a time-invariant threshold level does not seem realistic and it holds back this class of models from reaching their potential usefulness. Indeed, an estimate of a time-varying threshold level of unemployment, for example, might serve as a meaningful estimate of the natural rate of unemployment. More precisely, within a STAR framework, one might call the time-varying threshold the “tipping level” rate of unemployment, at which the mean and dynamics of the unemployment rate shift. In addition, once the threshold level is allowed to be time-varying, one can add an error-correction term—between the lagged level of unemployment and the lagged threshold level—to the autoregressive terms in the STAR model. In this way, the time-varying latent threshold level serves dual roles: as a demarcation between regimes and as part of an error-correction term.free rate puzzles, and the occurrence of trading break-downs.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siddhartha Chib & Edward Greenberg, 1994.
"Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics,"
9408001, EconWPA, revised 24 Oct 1994.
- Chib, Siddhartha & Greenberg, Edward, 1996. "Markov Chain Monte Carlo Simulation Methods in Econometrics," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 409-431, August.
- Skalin, Joakim & Ter svirta, Timo, 2002.
"Modeling Asymmetries And Moving Equilibria In Unemployment Rates,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 202-241, April.
- Skalin, Joakim & Teräsvirta, Timo, 1998. "Modelling asymmetries and moving equilibria in unemployment rates," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 262, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 05 Oct 1998.
- Tara M. Sinclair, 2009.
"The Relationships between Permanent and Transitory Movements in U.S. Output and the Unemployment Rate,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(2-3), pages 529-542, 03.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Sinclair(2009) bivariate state-space model," Statistical Software Components RTZ00151, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dick van Dijk & Timo Terasvirta & Philip Hans Franses, 2002.
"Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models — A Survey Of Recent Developments,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-47.
- van Dijk, Dick & Teräsvirta, Timo & Franses, Philip Hans, 2000. "Smooth Transition Autoregressive Models - A Survey of Recent Developments," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 380, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 17 Jan 2001.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Terasvirta, T. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 2000. "Smooth transition autoregressive models - A survey of recent developments," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2000-23/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Michael J. Dueker & Zacharias Psaradakis & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2010. "State-Dependent Threshold STAR Models," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 818.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Marcelle Chauvet & Chinhui Juhn & Simon M. Potter, 2001.
"Markov switching in disaggregate unemployment rates,"
132, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Chinhui Juhn & Simon Potter & Marcelle Chauvet, 2002. "Markov switching in disaggregate unemployment rates," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(2), pages 205-232.
- Clark, Peter K., 1989. "Trend reversion in real output and unemployment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 15-32, January.
- Basistha, Arabinda & Nelson, Charles R., 2007. "New measures of the output gap based on the forward-looking new Keynesian Phillips curve," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 498-511, March.
- Michael T. Owyang, 2001. "Persistence, excess volatility, and volatility clusters in inflation," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov., pages 41-52.
- Philippe J. Deschamps, 2008.
"Comparing smooth transition and Markov switching autoregressive models of US unemployment,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4), pages 435-462.
- Deschamps, Philippe J., 2007. "Comparing smooth transition and Markov switching autoregressive models of US Unemployment," DQE Working Papers 7, Department of Quantitative Economics, University of Freiburg/Fribourg Switzerland, revised 04 Jun 2008.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2010-029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.