Regional disparities in the spatial correlation of state income growth
This paper presents new evidence of spatial correlation in U.S. state income growth. We extend the basic spatial econometric model used in the growth literature by allowing spatial correlation in state income growth to vary across geographic regions. We find positive spatial correlation in income growth rates across neighboring states, but that the strength of this spatial correlation varies considerably by region. Spatial correlation in income growth is highest for states located in the Northeast and the South. Our findings have policy implications both at the state and national level, and also suggest that growth models may benefit from incorporating more complex forms of spatial correlation.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Case, Anne, 1992. "Neighborhood influence and technological change," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 491-508, September.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1990.
"Equipment Investment and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3515, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Danny Quah, 1992.
"Empirical Cross-Section Dynamics in Economic Growth,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp154, Financial Markets Group.
- Quah, Danny, 1993. "Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 426-434, April.
- Danny Quah, 1992. "Empirical cross-section dynamics in economic growth," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 75, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Quah, Danny T., 1996. "Empirics for economic growth and convergence," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1353-1375, June.
- Garrett, Thomas A. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2002. "The revenue impacts of cross-border lottery shopping in the presence of spatial autocorrelation," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 501-519, July.
- Thomas A. Garrett & Gary A. Wagner & David C. Wheelock, 2005.
"A spatial analysis of state banking regulation,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(4), pages 575-595, November.
- Salvador Barrios & Juan Jose Lucio, 2003.
"Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian Regions,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 497-515, 09.
- Salvador Barrios & Juan José de Lucio, "undated". "Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions," Working Papers 2001-17, FEDEA.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & DE LUCIO, Juan José, "undated". "Economic integration and regional business cycles: evidence from the Iberian regions," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1655, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BARRIOS, Salvador & de LUCIO, Juan José, 2002. "Economic integration and regional business cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions," CORE Discussion Papers 2002073, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bernard Fingleton, 2001. "Equilibrium and Economic Growth: Spatial Econometric Models and Simulations," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 117-147.
- David C. Wheelock, 2003. "Commentary on The real effects of U.S. banking deregulation," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 129-134.
- Crain, W Mark & Lee, Katherine J, 1999. "Economic Growth Regressions for the American States: A Sensitivity Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 37(2), pages 242-257, April.
- Sergio Rey & Brett Montouri, 1999. "US Regional Income Convergence: A Spatial Econometric Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(2), pages 143-156.
- LE GALLO, Julie, 2001.
"Space-time analysis of GDP disparities among European regions: A Markov chains approach,"
LATEC - Document de travail - Economie (1991-2003)
2001-06, LATEC, Laboratoire d'Analyse et des Techniques EConomiques, CNRS UMR 5118, Université de Bourgogne.
- Julie Le Gallo, 2004. "Space-Time Analysis of GDP Disparities among European Regions: A Markov Chains Approach," International Regional Science Review, SAGE Publishing, vol. 27(2), pages 138-163, April.
- Ramon Moreno & Bharat Trehan, 1997.
"Location and the growth of nations,"
Working Papers in Applied Economic Theory
97-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Ades, Alberto & Chua, Hak B, 1997. "Thy Neighbor's Curse: Regional Instability and Economic Growth," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 279-304, September.
- Conley, Timothy G & Ligon, Ethan, 2002. "Economic Distance and Cross-Country Spillovers," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 157-187, June.
- María Teresa Ramírez & Ana María Loboguerero, "undated".
"Spatial Dependence and Economic Growth: Evidence from a panel of Countries,"
Borradores de Economia
206, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- María Teresa Ramírez & Ana María Loboguerrero, 2002. "Spatial Dependence and Economic Growth: Evidence From a Panel of Countries," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 003522, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Donald G. Freeman, 2005. "Change-Point Analysis of the Growth Effects of State Banking Deregulation," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 43(3), pages 601-613, July.
- Dubin, Robin A, 1988. "Estimation of Regression Coefficients in the Presence of Spatially Autocorrelated Error Terms," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(3), pages 466-474, August.
- Freeman, Donald G., 2002. "Did state bank branching deregulation produce large growth effects?," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 383-389, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:2005-061. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.