Saving for a rainy day: estimating the appropriate size of U.S. state budget stabilization funds
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Richard H. Mattoon & Leslie McGranahan, 2012. "State tax revenues over the business cycle: patterns and policy responses," Chicago Fed Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Jun.
- Wagner, Gary A., 2004. "The Bond Market and Fiscal Institutions: Have Budget Stabilization Funds Reduced State Borrowing Costs?," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 57(4), pages 785-804, December.
- Christian Gonzalez & Arik Levinson, 2003. "State Rainy Day Funds and the State Budget Crisis 2002-?," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-05, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Clemens, Jeffrey, 2013. "State Fiscal Adjustment During Times of Stress: Possible Causes of the Severity and Composition of Budget Cuts," MPRA Paper 55921, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yilin Hou, 2005. "Fiscal Reserves and State Own-Source Expenditure in Downturn Years," Public Finance Review, , vol. 33(1), pages 117-144, January.
- Donald Bruce & William F. Fox & M.H. Tuttle, 2006. "Tax Base Elasticities: A Multi-State Analysis of Long-Run and Short-Run Dynamics," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 315-341, October.
- Gary A. Wagner & Erick M. Elder, 2005. "The Role of Budget Stabilization Funds in Smoothing Government Expenditures over the Business Cycle," Public Finance Review, , vol. 33(4), pages 439-465, July.
- Erick M. Elder & Gary A. Wagner, 2013. "Revenue Cycles and Risk-Sharing in Local Governments: An Analysis of State Rainy Day Funds," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 66(4), pages 939-960, December.
- Gary Wagner & Russell Sobel, 2006. "State budget stabilization fund adoption: Preparing for the next recession or circumventing fiscal constraints?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 126(1), pages 177-199, January.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kodrzycki, Yolanda & Zhao, Bo, 2015. "Achieving greater fiscal stability: guidance for the New England states," New England Public Policy Center Research Report 15-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- repec:ucp:tpolec:doi:10.1086/697140 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:nbr:nberch:14002 is not listed on IDEAS
- Timothy J. Goodspeed, 2016.
"Absorbing Shocks: National Rainy-Day Funds and Cross-Country Transfers in a Fiscal Union,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis,
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 72(4), pages 407-420, December.
- Timothy J. Goodspeed, 2016. "Absorbing Shocks: National Rainy-Day Funds and Cross-Country Transfers in Fiscal Union," Working Papers. Collection A: Public economics, governance and decentralization 1606, Universidade de Vigo, GEN - Governance and Economics research Network.
- Timothy J. Goodspeed, 2016. "Absorbing Shocks: National Rainy-Day Funds and Cross-Country Transfers in a Fiscal Union," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 446, Hunter College Department of Economics, revised 07 Nov 2016.
- Timothy J. Goodspeed, 2016. "Absorbing Shocks: National Rainy-Day Funds and Cross-Country Transfers in a Fiscal Union," CESifo Working Paper Series 6118, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jeffrey Clemens & Benedic Ippolito, 2018.
"Implications of Medicaid Financing Reform for State Government Budgets,"
Tax Policy and the Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(1), pages 135-172.
- Jeffrey Clemens & Benedic Ippolito, 2017. "Implications of Medicaid Financing Reform for State Government Budgets," NBER Chapters,in: Tax Policy and the Economy, Volume 32, pages 135-172 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeffrey Clemens & Benedic Ippolito, 2017. "Implications of Medicaid Financing Reform for State Government Budgets," NBER Working Papers 23965, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
More about this item
Keywordsrainy day funds; budget stabilization funds; revenue cyclicality;
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E63 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Comparative or Joint Analysis of Fiscal and Monetary Policy; Stabilization; Treasury Policy
- H71 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedbwp:14-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catherine Spozio). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbbous.html .