Generic substitution policy, prices and market structure: evidence from a quasi-experiment in Finland
The present paper evaluates the quantitative impact of a pharmaceutical reform on pharmaceutical prices. A generic substitution policy was introduced in Finland in 2003 to contain rising pharmaceutical expenditure. After the reform pharmacists were obliged to propose a cheaper alternative to a prescribed pharmaceutical product whenever a substitutable product was available. There were three possible channels through which the price effect might have been transmitted. First, the policy might have affected manufacturers? pricing behaviour for existing pharmaceutical products. Second, firms might have introduced new product variants of existing drugs to the market in the form of new generics or different package sizes. Third, the policy might have affected prices through the market structure, with more firms offering new product variants entering the market.
|Date of creation:||24 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +358 295 519 400
Fax: +358 295 519 599
Web page: http://www.vatt.fi/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Grasdal, Astrid L. & Holms, Tor Helge, 2009.
"Regulation and pricing of pharmaceuticals: Reference pricing or price cap regulation?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 170-185, February.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Grasdal, Astrid L. & Holmås, Tor Helge, 2006. "Regulation and Pricing of Pharmaceuticals: Reference Pricing or Price Cap Regulation?," Working Papers in Economics 14/06, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Astrid L. Grasdal & Tor Helge Holmås, 2007. "Regulation and Pricing of Pharmaceuticals: Reference Pricing or Price Cap Regulation?," CESifo Working Paper Series 2059, CESifo Group Munich.
- Tracy L. Regan, 2007.
"Generic entry, price competition, and market segmentation in the prescription drug market,"
2010-7, University of Miami, Department of Economics.
- Regan, Tracy L., 2008. "Generic entry, price competition, and market segmentation in the prescription drug market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 930-948, July.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Ingrid Königbauer & Odd Rune Straume, 2006.
"Reference Pricing of Pharmaceuticals,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1825, CESifo Group Munich.
- Puig-Junoy, Jaume, 2007. "The impact of generic reference pricing interventions in the statin market," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 14-29, November.
- Paul V. Grootendorst & John K. Marshall & Anne M. Holbrook & Lisa R. Dolovich & Bernie J. O'Brien & Adrian R. Levy, 2004. "The Impact of Differential Cost Sharing of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Agents on the Use and Costs of Analgesic Drugs," Social and Economic Dimensions of an Aging Population Research Papers 115, McMaster University.
- Jarkko Harju, 2012.
"Voluntary pension savings and tax incentives: Evidence from Finland,"
33, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Jarkko Harju, 2013. "Voluntary Pension Savings and Tax Incentives: Evidence from Finland," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 69(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Richard G. Frank & David S. Salkever, 1997.
"Generic Entry and the Pricing of Pharmaceuticals,"
Journal of Economics & Management Strategy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(1), pages 75-90, 03.
- Panos Kanavos & Joan Costa-Font & Elizabeth Seeley, 2008. "Competition in off-patent drug markets: Issues, regulation and evidence," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 23, pages 499-544, 07.
- Justin Wolfers, 2003.
"Did Unilateral Divorce Laws Raise Divorce Rates? A Reconciliation and New Results,"
NBER Working Papers
10014, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Justin Wolfers, 2006. "Did Unilateral Divorce Laws Raise Divorce Rates? A Reconciliation and New Results," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(5), pages 1802-1820, December.
- Wolfers, Justin, 2003. "Did Unilateral Divorce Laws Raise Divorce Rates? A Reconciliation and New Results," Research Papers 1819, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Kalo, Zoltan & Muszbek, Noemi & Bodrogi, Jozsef & Bidlo, Judit, 2007. "Does therapeutic reference pricing always result in cost-containment?: The Hungarian evidence," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 402-412, March.
- Steven N. Wiggins & Robert Maness, 2004. "Price Competition in Pharmaceuticals: The Case of Anti-infectives," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 247-263, April.
- Ying Kong, 2009. "Competition between brand-name and generics - analysis on pricing of brand-name pharmaceutical," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(5), pages 591-606.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Michael F. Furukawa, 2011. "Cross-National Evidence on Generic Pharmaceuticals: Pharmacy vs. Physician-Driven Markets," NBER Working Papers 17226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matteo Maria. Galizzi & Simone Ghislandi & Marisa Miraldo, 2011. "Effects of Reference Pricing in Pharmaceutical Markets: A Review," PharmacoEconomics, Springer Healthcare | Adis, vol. 29(1), pages 17-33.
- Paul Grootendorst & David Stewart, 2006. "A re-examination of the impact of reference pricing on anti-hypertensive drug plan expenditures in British Columbia," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(7), pages 735-742.
- Izabela Jelovac & Catalina Bordoy, 2005. "Pricing and Welfare Implications of Parallel Imports in the Pharmaceutical Industry," International Journal of Health Care Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 5-21, January.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fer:wpaper:35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.