The impact of generic reference pricing interventions in the statin market
Objectives The objective of this study was to evaluate the intended and unintended impact on pharmaceutical use and sales of three public reimbursement reforms applied to the prescription of statins: a Spanish generic reference pricing system, and two competing policies introduced by the Andalusian Public Health Service.Methods This study is designed as an interrupted time series analysis with comparison series of 46 monthly drug use and sales figures from January 2001 to October 2004 for each active ingredient.Results The mean monthly saving for the year after the introduction of reference pricing was 16.7% of total lovastatin sales, representing only 1.1% of total statins sales. Mean monthly savings for the 10 months after reference pricing being applied to simvastatin were 51.8% of simvastatin sales, and 13.9% of statin sales. Over the 46 months of the study, all analysed public interventions resulted in a 2.2% average monthly decrease in statin sales in the rest of Spain and savings non-significantly different from zero in Andalusia.Conclusion RP has been effective at reducing the volume of sales growth of the off-patent statins, yet its overall impact on sales of all statins has been relatively modest.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas Aronsson & Mats Bergman & Niklas Rudholm, 2001. "The Impact of Generic Drug Competition on Brand Name Market Shares – Evidence from Micro Data," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 423-433, December.
- Zweifel, Peter & Crivelli, Luca, 1996. "Price Regulation of Drugs: Lessons from Germany," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 257-73, November.
- Lopez-Casasnovas, Guillem & Puig-Junoy, Jaume, 2000.
"Review of the literature on reference pricing,"
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 87-123, November.
- Guillem López & Jaume Puig, 1999. "Review of the literature on reference pricing," Economics Working Papers 362, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Guillem López & Jaume Puig, 1999. "Review of the literature on reference pricing," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 362, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- repec:spr:pharme:v:14:y:1998:i:5:p:471-479 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:spr:aphecp:v:4:y:2005:i:2:p:87-98 is not listed on IDEAS
- Puig-Junoy, Jaume, 2004. "Incentives and pharmaceutical reimbursement reforms in Spain," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 149-165, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:hepoli:v:84:y:2007:i:1:p:14-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.