Modeling positive inter-jurisdictional public spending spillovers
This paper builds spatial microfoundations for the functional forms used in the analysis of inter-jurisdictional public spending spillovers. It introduces a symmetric bilateral model that distinguishes between three stages: production of multiple public inputs (intermediary goods), production of multiple public outputs (final goods) including asymmetries and non-additive aggregations, and consumption of the public outputs with asymmetries and preferences for variety. The model is characterized by seven modeling features, and the paper demonstrates how these features are combined in the relevant literature. The paper identifies sufficient conditions for the different combinations of the features to be isomorphic. Additionally, it analyzes which microfoundations for the inter-jurisdictional spillovers lead to asymmetrically structured demands for public spending.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Cornes, 1993. "Dyke Maintenance and Other Stories: Some Neglected Types of Public Goods," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(1), pages 259-271.
- Richard Cornes & Roger Hartley, 2006.
"Weak Links, Good Shots and other PublicGood Games: Building on BBV,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
0624, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Cornes, Richard & Hartley, Roger, 2007. "Weak links, good shots and other public good games: Building on BBV," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(9), pages 1684-1707, September.
- Richard Cornes & Roger Hartley, . "Weak Links, Good Shots And Other Public Good Games: Building On Bbv," Discussion Papers 06/09, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Banzhaf, H. Spencer & Chupp, B. Andrew, 2012. "Fiscal federalism and interjurisdictional externalities: New results and an application to US Air pollution," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(5), pages 449-464.
- Rosella Levaggi, 2009.
"From local to global public goods: how should externalities be represented?,"
0903, University of Brescia, Department of Economics.
- Levaggi, Rosella, 2010. "From local to global public goods: How should externalities be represented?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1040-1042, September.
- Bloch, Francis & Zenginobuz, Unal, 2004.
"The Effect of Spillovers on the Provision of Local Public Goods,"
186, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 05 Oct 2006.
- Francis Bloch & Unal Zenginobuz, 2007. "The effect of spillovers on the provision of local public goods," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 199-216, November.
- Cheikbossian, Guillaume, 2008. "Rent-seeking, spillovers and the benefits of decentralization," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 217-228, January.
- R Dur & H.J. Roelfsema, 2004.
"Why Does Centralisation Fail to Internalise Policy Externalities?,"
04-09, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Robert Dur & Hein Roelfsema, 2005. "Why does centralisation fail to internalise policy externalities?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 122(3), pages 395-416, March.
- Robert A.J. Dur & Hein J. Roelfsema, 2002. "Why does Centralisation fail to internalise Policy Externalities?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-056/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 11 Nov 2003.
- Loeper, Antoine, 2011. "Coordination in heterogeneous federal systems," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 900-912, August.
- Vicary, Simon & Sandler, Todd, 2002. "Weakest-link public goods: Giving in-kind or transferring money," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(8), pages 1501-1520, September.
- Ernesto Crivelli & Klaas Staal, 2013.
"Size, spillovers and soft budget constraints,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 338-356, April.
- Ernesto Crivelli & Klaas Staal, 2008. "Size, Spillovers and Soft Budget Constraints," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2008_17, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Jan Schnellenbach & Lars Feld & Christoph Schaltegger, 2010.
"The impact of referendums on the centralisation of public goods provision: a political economy approach,"
Economics of Governance,
Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 3-26, February.
- Jan Schnellenbach & Lars Feld & Christoph schaltegger, 2007. "The Impact of Referendums on the Centralisation of Public Goods Provision: A Political Economy Approach," Working Papers 0440, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics, revised May 2007.
- Jan Schnellenbach & Lars P. Feld & Christoph A. Schaltegger, 2006. "The Impact of Referendums on the Centralisation of Public Goods Provision: A Political Economy Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 1803, CESifo Group Munich.
- Loeper, Antoine, 2011. "Coordination in heterogeneous federal systems," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 900-912.
- Giuranno, Michele G., 2010. "Pooling sovereignty under the subsidiary principle," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 125-136, March.
- Lei, Vivian & Tucker, Steven & Vesely, Filip, 2007. "Foreign aid and weakest-link international public goods: An experimental study," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 599-623, April.
- Martin Gregor & Lenka Šastná, 2011.
"The Decentralization Tradeoff for Complementary Spillovers,"
Working Papers IES
2011/13, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Apr 2011.
- Martin Gregor & Lenka Stastna, 2012. "The decentralization tradeoff for complementary spillovers," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 41-69, March.
- Sandler, Todd & Vicary, Simon, 2001. "Weakest-link public goods: giving in-kind or transferring money in a sequential game," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 71-75, December.
- Vicary, Simon, 1990. "Transfers and the weakest-link : An extension of Hirshleifer's analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 375-394, December.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 2003. "Centralized versus decentralized provision of local public goods: a political economy approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(12), pages 2611-2637, December.
- Janos Feidler & Klaas Staal, 2012. "Centralized and decentralized provision of public goods," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 73-93, March.
- Martin Gregor, 2011. "Tradeoffs of foreign assistance for the weakest-link global public goods," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 233-251, April.
- Cornes,Richard & Sandler,Todd, 1996. "The Theory of Externalities, Public Goods, and Club Goods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521477185.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:wpaper:wp2012_16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.