Banking, Commerce, and Antitrust¤
We develop a model in order to explore how a bank’s equity stake in a competitor of a borrower affects the financing relationship with the borrower and product market outcomes. The bank’s affiliation with the competitor can give rise to antior pro–competitive effects. Large equity stakes can facilitate anti–competitive conduct. In sharp contrast, small equity stakes are pro–competitive. The reason is that the bank’s equity stake in the competitor hardens the borrower’s budget constraint. This alleviates credit rationing problems and enables the borrower to invest more aggressively. These findings suggest that bank equity holdings in industrial firms have non–monotonic effects on product market competition.
|Date of creation:||May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 41 22 / 312 09 61
Fax: 41 22 / 312 10 26
Web page: http://www.swissfinanceinstitute.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giacinta Cestone & Lucy White, .
"Anti-Competitive Financial Contracting: The Design Of Financial Claims,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
453.00, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Giacinta Cestone & Lucy White, 2003. "Anticompetitive Financial Contracting: The Design of Financial Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(5), pages 2109-2142, October.
- Cestone, Giacinta & White, Lucy, 2002. "Anti-Competitive Financial Contracting: The Design of Financial Claims," CEPR Discussion Papers 3182, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cestone, G. & White, L., 1999. "Anti-Competitive Financial Contracting: the Design of Financial Claims," Papers 99.525, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- John Krainer, 2000.
"The separation of banking and commerce,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 15-24.
- Dewatripont, Mathias & Tirole, Jean, 1994.
"A Theory of Debt and Equity: Diversity of Securities and Manager-Shareholder Congruence,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 109(4), pages 1027-54, November.
- Mathias Dewatripont & Jean Tirole, 1994. "A theory of debt and equity: diversity of securities and manager-shareholder congruence," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9593, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Barth, James R. & Caprio, Gerard & Levine, Ross, 2000. "Banking systems around the globe : do regulation and ownership affect the performance and stability?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2325, The World Bank.
- Erik Berglof & Ernst-Ludwig von Thadden, 1994. "Capital Structure with Multiple Investors," CEPR Financial Markets Paper 0044, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Miguel Cantillo Simon, 1998. "The Rise and Fall of Bank Control in the United States: 1890-1939," Finance 9803005, EconWPA.
- Morck, Randall & Nakamura, Masao & Shivdasani, Anil, 2000. "Banks, Ownership Structure, and Firm Value in Japan," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73(4), pages 539-67, October.
- Bolton, Patrick & Scharfstein, David S, 1996. "Optimal Debt Structure and the Number of Creditors," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Simon, Miguel Cantillo, 1998. "The Rise and Fall of Bank Control in the United States: 1890-1939," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(5), pages 1077-93, December.
- Repullo,R. & Suarez,J., 1995.
"Monitoring,Liquidation,and Security Design,"
9520, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Bhattacharya Sudipto & Chiesa Gabriella, 1995. "Proprietary Information, Financial Intermediation, and Research Incentives," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 328-357, October.
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Saunders, Anthony, 1994. "Banking and commerce: An overview of the public policy issues," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 231-254, January.
- João A.C. Santos, 1998. "Banking and commerce: how does the United States compare to other countries?," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q IV, pages 14-26.
- Randall S. Kroszner, 2000. "The legacy of the separation of banking and commerce continues in Gramm-Leach-Bliley," The Region, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Jun, pages 18-21.
- Hellmann, Thomas, 2002. "A theory of strategic venture investing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 285-314, May.
- Michel Poitevin, 1989. "Collusion and the Banking Structure of a Duopoly," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 22(2), pages 263-77, May.
- Shull, Bernard, 1994. "Banking and commerce in the United States," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 255-270, January.
- Grossman, Gene M & Shapiro, Carl, 1986. "Research Joint Ventures: An Antitrust Analysis," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(2), pages 315-37, Fall.
- Shapiro, Carl & Willig, Robert D, 1990. "On the Antitrust Treatment of Production Joint Ventures," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 4(3), pages 113-30, Summer.
- James, Christopher, 1995. "When Do Banks Take Equity in Debt Restructurings?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(4), pages 1209-34.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fam:rpseri:rp19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marilyn Barja)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.