Asymmetric Awareness and Moral Hazard
This paper introduces asymmetric awareness into the classical principal-agent model and discusses the optimal contract between a fully aware principal and an unaware agent. The principal enlarges the agent's awareness strategically when proposing the contract. He faces a trade-off between participation and incentives. Leaving the agent unaware allows him to exploit the agent's incomplete understanding of the world. Making the agent aware enables the principal to use the revealed contingencies as signals about the agent's action choice. The optimal contract reveals contingencies that have low probability but are highly informative about the agent's effort.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ernst-Ludwig Von Thadden & Xiaojian Zhao, 2012. "Incentives for Unaware Agents," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1151-1174.
- HEIFETZ, Aviad & MEIER, Martin & SCHIPPER, Burkhard C., 2004.
CORE Discussion Papers
2004059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Heifetz, Aviad & Meier, Martin & Schipper, Burkhard C., 2005. "Interactive Unawareness," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 52, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Galanis, Spyros, 2007.
"Unawareness of theorems,"
Discussion Paper Series In Economics And Econometrics
51816, Economics Division, School of Social Sciences, University of Southampton.
- Laibson, David I. & Gabaix, Xavier, 2006.
"Shrouded Attributes, Consumer Myopia, and Information Suppression in Competitive Markets,"
4554333, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Xavier Gabaix & David Laibson, 2005. "Shrouded Attributes, Consumer Myopia, and Information Suppression in Competitive Markets," NBER Working Papers 11755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Luís Santos-Pinto, 2008.
"Positive Self-image and Incentives in Organisations,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(531), pages 1315-1332, 08.
- Santos-Pinto, Luís, 2003. "Positive self-image and incentives in organizations," MPRA Paper 3141, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 14 Feb 2007.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, .
"An Analysis of the Principal-Agent Problem,"
Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers
15-80, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Heifetz, Aviad & Meier, Martin & Schipper, Burkhard C., 2005.
"A Canonical Model for Interactive Unawareness,"
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
60, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Burkhard C. Schipper & Martin Meier & Aviad Heifetz, 2005. "A Canonical Model for Interactive Unawareness," Working Papers 57, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Aviad Heifetz & Martin Meier & Burkhard C. Schipper, 2005. "A Canonical Model for Interactive Unawareness," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse23_2005, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Jing Li, 2008. "A Note on Unawareness and Zero Probability," PIER Working Paper Archive 08-022, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- Salvatore Modica & J.-Marc Tallon & Aldo Rustichini, 1998.
"Unawareness and bankruptcy: A general equilibrium model,"
Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 259-292.
- Salvatore Modica & Aldo Rustichini & Jean-Marc Tallon, 1998. "Unawareness and bankruptcy: A general equilibrium model," Post-Print halshs-00499386, HAL.
- Filiz-Ozbay, Emel, 2012. "Incorporating unawareness into contract theory," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 181-194.
- Kim-Sau Chung & Oliver Board, 2007.
2007-2, University of Minnesota, Department of Economics, revised 24 Aug 2007.
- Modica, Salvatore & Rustichini, Aldo, 1999. "Unawareness and Partitional Information Structures," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 265-298, May.
- Li, Jing, 2009. "Information structures with unawareness," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(3), pages 977-993, May.
- Eddie Dekel & Barton L. Lipman & Aldo Rustichini, 1998. "Standard State-Space Models Preclude Unawareness," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 159-174, January.
- de la Rosa, Leonidas Enrique, 2011.
"Overconfidence and moral hazard,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 429-451.
- Ernst-Ludwig Thadden & Xiaojian Zhao, 2014. "Multi-task agency with unawareness," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 77(2), pages 197-222, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eui:euiwps:eco2012/23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne Banks)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.