The goal of this paper is to construct a user-friendly model of unawareness. We start from an axiom system (in first-order modal logic) that enables us to express the following kinds of sentences: “the agent is not sure whether or not there is anything that he is unaware of”, and “I am not sure whether or not you are aware of something that I am not”. We then prove a characterization theorem which describes a class of structures, called object-based unawareness structures, that correspond to this axiom system. As an application, we explain how an object-based unawareness structure can be use to model those American founding fathers who were opposed to the inclusion of the Bill of Rights in the constitution.
|Date of creation:||24 Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:||24 Aug 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 4-101 Hanson Hall, 1925 Fourth Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55455|
Web page: http://www.econ.umn.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heifetz, Aviad & Meier, Martin & Schipper, Burkhard C., 2005.
Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems
52, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Eddie Dekel & Barton L. Lipman & Aldo Rustichini, 1998. "Standard State-Space Models Preclude Unawareness," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 159-174, January.
- Ronald Fagin & Joseph Y. Halpern & Yoram Moses & Moshe Y. Vardi, 2003. "Reasoning About Knowledge," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262562006.
- Feinberg, Yossi, 2004. "Subjective Reasoning--Games with Unawareness," Research Papers 1875, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Halpern, Joseph Y., 2001.
"Alternative Semantics for Unawareness,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 321-339, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:min:wpaper:2007-2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caty Bach)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.