Stability of Preference against Aging and Health Shocks: A comparison between Japan and the United States
This study explores stability of preference against aging and health shocks. Contrary to a vast amount of literature assuming that risk attitude is unchanged over time, we utilize JSTAR (Japanese Study of Aging and Retirement), which provides longitudinal data on the middle aged and elderly comparable with the Health and Retirement Study (HRS)/English Longitudinal Study of Ageing (ELSA)/Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (SHARE), to examine how aging and past health experiences systematically affect risk attitude. We find that while there is empirical evidence that aging gradually causes individuals to be more risk averse, health shocks do not seem to affect risk preference systematically.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker & Casey B. Mulligan, 1997. "The Endogenous Determination of Time Preference," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 112(3), pages 729-758.
- Gabriel Picone & Frank Sloan & Donald Taylor, 2004. "Effects of Risk and Time Preference and Expected Longevity on Demand for Medical Tests," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 39-53, January.
- Louise Sheiner & David N. Weil, 1992. "The Housing Wealth of the Aged," NBER Working Papers 4115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moreira, Bruno & Matsushita, Raul & Da Silva, Sergio, 2010.
"Risk seeking behavior of preschool children in a gambling task,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 794-801, October.
- Moreira, Bruno & Matsushita, Raul & Da Silva, Sergio, 2008. "Risk-seeking behavior of preschool children in a gambling task," MPRA Paper 15516, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kohei Kubota & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2016. "Rational Consumers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 57, pages 231-254, 02.
- Kohei Kubota & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2009. "Rational consumers," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-15, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP).
- Kohei Kubota & Mototsugu Fukushige, 2009. "Rational Consumers," Discussion Papers in Economics and Business 09-15-Rev, Osaka University, Graduate School of Economics and Osaka School of International Public Policy (OSIPP), revised Jun 2011.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:13068. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.