Analytic and Strategic Review Paper: International Perspectives on Early Child Development
The present work builds on the affirmed desire of the Commission on Social Determinants of Health (CSDH) to be judged on both its scientific rigor and the policy implications that the Commissionâ€™s work will generate. It contributes to the general discussion on the social determinants of health by complementing the work of the Commissionâ€™s other Knowledge Networks and by focusing on the fundamental conceptual issues relating to Early Child Development and Education (hereafter ECD). The areas of focus for each of the Commissionâ€™s Knowledge Networksâ€”Globalization, Social Exclusion, Health Systems, Gender, Urban Settings, Employment Conditions, Priority Public Health Conditions, and Measurementâ€”are critical to understanding the social determination of ECD, and as such will be integral to the work of the ECD network. December 2005.]
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hertzman, C., 2000. "The Case for an Early Childhood Development Strategy," Centre for Health Services and Policy Research 2000:13r, University of British Columbia - Centre for Health Services and Policy Research..
- Wadsworth, M. E. J., 1997. "Health inequalities in the life course perspective," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 859-869, March.
- Rahkonen, Ossi & Lahelma, Eero & Huuhka, Minna, 1997. "Past or present? Childhood living conditions and current socioeconomic status as determinants of adult health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 327-336, February.
- Lundberg, Olle, 1993. "The impact of childhood living conditions on illness and mortality in adulthood," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1047-1052, April.
- Dunn, James R. & Hayes, Michael V., 2000. "Social inequality, population health, and housing: a study of two Vancouver neighborhoods," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 563-587, August.
- Joshua Winicki & Kyle Jemison, 2003. "Food Insecurity and Hunger in the Kindergarten Classroom: Its Effect on Learning and Growth," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(2), pages 145-157, 04.
- Hertzman, C. & Wiens, M., 1996. "Child development and long-term outcomes: A population health perspective and summary of successful interventions," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 43(7), pages 1083-1095, October.
- Engle, Patrice L. & Castle, Sarah & Menon, Purnima, 1996. "Child development: Vulnerability and resilience," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 43(5), pages 621-635, September.
- Drukker, Marjan & Kaplan, Charles & Feron, Frans & van Os, Jim, 2003. "Children's health-related quality of life, neighbourhood socio-economic deprivation and social capital. A contextual analysis," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 57(5), pages 825-841, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:690. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.