Chinese Rural Industrialisation in the Context of the East Asian Miracle
This paper synthesises the different explanations and presents an overview of the development and characteristics of the Chinese rural enterprises (REs). The rural industrialization history of the Chinese provinces in the last 30 some years is analyzed. Among other results, the analysis has reached the following conclusions. First, provincial diversity in RE development is strongly linked with the capital stock in the rural area; in other words, a province with a comparative advantage in industry relative to agriculture has a larger RE sector. Second, a lighter SOE sector at the outset of the development helps a province develop a larger RE sector. This result suggests that a province that initially abided by China's comparative advantage in labour intensive industries laid a better stage for its future RE development. Thirdly, a larger share of public REs hinders the overall RE development in a province in the reform period. This last result contradicts the prediction provided by many theories advocating the vaguely defined property rights widely observed in Chinese REs. The Chinese experience is also placed in the context in East Asia, noticeably, Thailand.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu Yanrui, 1990. "Rural Industrialization in China: A General Equilibrium Analysis," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1990-02, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- Jiahua Che & Yingyi Qian, 1997.
"Insecure Property rights and Government Ownership of Firms,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
51, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Jiahua Che & Yingyi Qian, 1998. "Insecure Property Rights And Government Ownership Of Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 113(2), pages 467-496, May.
- Jiahua Che & Yingyi Qian, . "Insecure Property Rights and Government Ownership of Firms," Working Papers 97050, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Liu, Shouying & Carter, Michael R. & Yao, Yang, 1998.
"Dimensions and diversity of property rights in rural China: Dilemmas on the road to further reform,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(10), pages 1789-1806, October.
- Shouying Liu & MICHAEL R. CARTER & Yang Yao, 1996. "Dimensions and Diversity of Property Rights in Rural China: Delimmas on the Road to Further Reform," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 395, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- M Weitzman & Cheng-Gang Xu, 1993.
"Chinese township village enterprises as vaguely defined cooperations,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3754, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Weitzman Martin L. & Xu Chenggang, 1994. "Chinese Township-Village Enterprises as Vaguely Defined Cooperatives," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 121-145, April.
- M Weitzman & Chenggang Xu, 1993. "Chinese Township Village Enterprises as Vaguely Defined Cooperations," CEP Discussion Papers dp0155, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kuznets, Paul W, 1988. "An East Asian Model of Economic Development: Japan, Taiwan, and South Korea," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36(3), pages S11-43, Supplemen.
- Wu Yanrui, 1993. "One Industry, Two Regimes: The Chinese Textile Sector Growth, Reforms and Efficiency," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1993-02, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- Wu Yanrui, 1992. "Productivity Performance of Chinese Rural Enterprises: A Comparative Study," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1992-07, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- Jefferson, Gary H. & Rawski, Thomas G. & Zheng, Yuxin, 1996. "Chinese Industrial Productivity: Trends, Measurement Issues, and Recent Developments," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 146-180, October.
- Yao, Yang, 1999. "Rural industry and labor market integration in eastern China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 463-496, August.
- Nugent, Jeffrey B., 1996. "What explains the trend reversal in the size distribution of Korean manufacturing establishments?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 225-251, March.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Dong, Xiao-yuan & Putterman, Louis, 1997. "Productivity and Organization in China's Rural Industries: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 181-201, April.
- Harry X Wu, 1992. "China's Rural Economic Performance during the Reform Decade: Estimates and Assessments," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1992-05, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:647. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.