Trade Liberalisation and Digital Divide: an Analysis of the Information Technology Agreement of WTO
This article reflects on the effectiveness of trade liberalization, as envisaged in the Information Technology Agreement (ITA) of the WTO, for promoting ICT use and production in developing countries. It makes the case for an e-South Framework Agreement that facilitates the harnessing of southern capabilities through building new system of ICT innovation, as a complement to ongoing North-South initiatives, inter alia involving trade liberalization along with capacity building to promote ICT use and production in developing countries. [CDS Working Paper 381, July 2006]
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nagesh Kumar & K.J. Joseph, 2006. "National Innovation Systems and Indiaâ€™s IT Capability: Are There Any Lessons for ASEAN Newcomers?," Chapters, in: Asiaâ€™s Innovation Systems in Transition, chapter 10 Edward Elgar.
- Joseph, K.J., 2002. "Growth of ICT and ICT for Development: Realities of the Myths of the Indian Experience," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Saggi, Kamal, 2000.
"Trade, foreign direct investment, and international technology transfer : a survey,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2349, The World Bank.
- Kamal Saggi, 2002. "Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and International Technology Transfer: A Survey," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 17(2), pages 191-235, September.
- Bengt-Åke Lundvall, 2004.
"Why the New Economy is a Learning Economy,"
DRUID Working Papers
04-01, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Indjikian, Rouben & Siegel, Donald S., 2005.
"The Impact of Investment in IT on Economic Performance: Implications for Developing Countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 681-700, May.
- Rouben Indjikain & Donald S. Siegel, 2004. "The Impact of Investment in IT on Economic Performance: Implications for Developing Countries," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0414, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1992. "Technological capabilities and industrialization," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Kaushik, P. D. & Singh, Nirvikar, 2004. "Information Technology and Broad-Based Development: Preliminary Lessons from North India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 591-607, April.
- Ashish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella, 2005.
"The Globalization of the Software Industry: Perspectives and Opportunities for Developed and Developing Countries,"
in: Innovation Policy and the Economy, Volume 5, pages 1-32
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Asish Arora & Alfonso Gambardella, 2004. "The Globalization of the Software Industry: Perspectives and Opportunities for Developed and Developing Countries," NBER Working Papers 10538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arora, Ashish & Arunachalam, V. S. & Asundi, Jai & Fernandes, Ronald, 2001. "The Indian software services industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1267-1287, October.
- Ernst, Dieter & Kim, Linsu, 2002. "Global production networks, knowledge diffusion, and local capability formation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1417-1429, December.
- Dibyendu S. Maiti, 2006.
"Organisational Morphology of Rural Industries in Liberalised India: A Study of West Bengal,"
- Dibyendu S. Maiti, 2005. "Organisational morphology of rural industries in liberalised India: A study of West Bengal," Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers 371, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Sunil Mani, 2005.
"Keeping pace with globalisation innovation capability in Korea's telecommunications equipment industry,"
Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers
370, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Sunil Mani, 2006. "Keeping Pace with Globalisation Innovation Capability in Korea's Telecommunications Equipment Industry," Working Papers id:745, eSocialSciences.
- Tybout, James R, 1992. "Linking Trade and Productivity: New Research Directions," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(2), pages 189-211, May.
- Hargittai, Eszter, 1999. "Weaving the Western Web: explaining differences in Internet connectivity among OECD countries," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(10-11), pages 701-718, November.
- World Bank, 2002. "Information and Communication Technologies : A World Bank Group Strategy," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 15243.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1992. "The Case for Trade Liberalization in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 69-85, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:583. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.