Understanding Inflation and Controlling It
Inflation management is one of the hardest tasks an economic policymaker has to undertake. It appears, at first sight, that one can rely entirely on commonsense to carry out this task. But that will be a cardinal mistake. While inflation policy does require judgment and intuition, it is essential that these be backed up with statistical information and an understanding of economic theory. This paper tries to bring together the formal analytics that underlie inflation policy. It surveys some of the standard ideas and also questions some of these and, in the process, tries to push further outwards the frontiers of our understanding.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mishra, Prachi & Roy, Devesh, 2012. "Explaining Inflation in India: The Role of Food Prices," India Policy Forum, National Council of Applied Economic Research, vol. 8(1), pages 139-224.
- Robert E. Hall, 1982. "Introduction to "Inflation: Causes and Effects"," NBER Chapters, in: Inflation: Causes and Effects, pages 1-10 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ashima Goyal & Shruti Tripathi, 2011. "New Keynesian aggregate supply in the tropics: food prices, wages and inflation," International Journal of Monetary Economics and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 4(4), pages 330-354.
- Ravindra H. Dholakia & Amey A. Sapre, 2012.
"Speed of Adjustment and Inflation – Unemployment Tradeoff in Developing Countries – Case of India,"
Journal of Quantitative Economics,
The Indian Econometric Society, vol. 10(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Dholakia, Ravindra H. & Sapre, Amey, 2011. "Speed of Adjustment and Inflation – Unemployment Tradeoff in Developing Countries – Case of India," IIMA Working Papers WP2011-07-01, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Ankita Mishra & Ranjan Ray, 2011. "Prices, Inequality, And Poverty: Methodology And Indian Evidence," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57(3), pages 428-448, 09.
- Ankita Mishra & Ranjan Ray, 2009. "Prices, Inequality and Poverty: Methodology and Indian Evidence," Monash Economics Working Papers 27-09, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Ulf von Lilienfeld‐Toal & Dilip Mookherjee & Sujata Visaria, 2012. "The Distributive Impact of Reforms in Credit Enforcement: Evidence From Indian Debt Recovery Tribunals," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(2), pages 497-558, 03.
- Ulf von Lilienfeld-Toal & Dilip Mookherjee & Sujata Visaria, 2009. "The Distributive impact of reforms in credit enforcement: Evidence from Indian debt recovery tribunals," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 09-03, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Dilip Mookherjee & Sujata Visaria & Ulf Lilienfeld Toal, 2010. "The Distributive Impact of Reforms in Credit Enforcement: Evidence from Indian Debt Recovery Tribunals," Working Papers id:2613, eSocialSciences.
- Ulf von Lilienfeld-Toal & Dilip Mookherjee & Sujata Visaria, 2009. "The Distributive Impact of Reforms in Credit Enforcement: Evidence from Indian Debt Recovery Tribunals," Boston University - Department of Economics - The Institute for Economic Development Working Papers Series dp-183, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Dilip Mookherjee & Ulf von Lilienfeld-Toal & Sujata Visaria, 2010. "The Distributive Impact Of Reforms In Credit Enforcement: Evidence From Indian Debt Recovery Tribunals," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2010-034, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Reetika Khera, 2011. "India's Public Distribution System: Utilisation and Impact," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(7), pages 1038-1060.
- Basu, Kaushik, 1992. "A geometry for non-Walrasian general equilibrium theory," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 87-103.
- Robert E. Hall, 1982. "Inflation: Causes and Effects," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number hall82-1.
- Reetika Khera, 2011. "Trends In Diversion Of Pds Grain," Working papers 198, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:4481. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.