Total Factor Productivity Growth and Its Decomposition: An Assessment of the Indian Banking Sector in the True Liberalised Era
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Hrushikesh Mallick, 2008.
"Do remittances impact the economy? Some empirical evidences from a developing economy,"
Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum Working Papers
407, Centre for Development Studies, Trivendrum, India.
- Hrushikesh Mallick, 2009. "Do Remittances Impact the Economy? Some Empirical Evidences from A Developing Economy," Working Papers id:2199, eSocialSciences.
- Rakesh Mohan, 2005. "Reforms, Productivity, and Efficiency in Banking: The Indian Experience," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 505-538.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1999.
"More instruments and broader goals: moving toward the post-washington consensus,"
Brazilian Journal of Political Economy, Center of Political Economy, vol. 19(1).
- J. Stiglitz, 1998. "More Instruments and Broader Goals: Moving toward the PostWashington Consensus," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "Productivity Growth in Industrialized Countries," Papers 9810, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Das, Abhiman & Ghosh, Saibal, 2006. "Financial deregulation and efficiency: An empirical analysis of Indian banks during the post reform period," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 193-221.
- Sathye, Milind, 2003. "Efficiency of banks in a developing economy: The case of India," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(3), pages 662-671, August.
- Das, Abhiman & Ray, Subhash C. & Nag, Ashok, 2009.
"Labor-use efficiency in Indian banking: A branch-level analysis,"
Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 411-425, April.
- Abhiman Das & Subhash C. Ray & Ashok Nag, 2005. "Labor-Use Efficiency in Indian Banking: A Branch Level Analysis," Working papers 2005-04, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Beena Saraswathy, 2010. "Cross-Border Mergers and Acquisations in India: Extent, Nature and Structure.July 2010," Working Papers id:3096, eSocialSciences.
- Banker, Rajiv D., 1984. "Estimating most productive scale size using data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 35-44, July.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Lovell, C. A. K. & Sahay, Pankaj, 1997. "The impact of liberalization on the productive efficiency of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 332-345, April.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 1997. "Microeconomics of Banking," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061937.
- Sarkar, Jayati & Sarkar, Subrata & Bhaumik, Sumon K., 1998. "Does Ownership Always Matter?--Evidence from the Indian Banking Industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 262-281, June.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Tabak, Benjamin M. & Langsch Tecles, Patricia, 2010. "Estimating a Bayesian stochastic frontier for the Indian banking system," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 96-110, May.
- Shrimal Perera & Michael Skully & J. Wickramanayake, 2007. "Cost Efficiency in South Asian Banking: The Impact of Bank Size, State Ownership and Stock Exchange Listings," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 7(1‐2), pages 35-60, March.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2012. "Determinants of multinational banks’ subsidiary performance: the host and home country effects," Journal of Economic and Administrative Sciences, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 130-155, February.
- Subhash C. Ray & Abhiman Das & Kankana Mukherjee, 2018. "Measures of Labor Use Efficiency from a Cost-Based Dual Representation of the Technology: A Study of Indian Bank Branches," Working papers 2018-17, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2017. "Why is it a man’s world, after all? Women on bank boards in India," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 109-121.
- Udhayakumar, A. & Charles, V. & Kumar, Mukesh, 2011. "Stochastic simulation based genetic algorithm for chance constrained data envelopment analysis problems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 387-397, August.
- Rudra Sensarma, 2008. "Deregulation, ownership and profit performance of banks: evidence from India," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(19), pages 1581-1595.
- Mostak Ahamed, M., 2017. "Asset quality, non-interest income, and bank profitability: Evidence from Indian banks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 1-14.
- Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2015. "Efficiency dynamics in Indian banking: A conditional directional distance approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 240(3), pages 807-818.
- Fujii, Hidemichi & Managi, Shunsuke & Matousek, Roman, 2014.
"Indian bank efficiency and productivity changes with undesirable outputs: A disaggregated approach,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 41-50.
- Fujii, Hidemichi & Managi, Shunsuke & Matousek, Roman, 2013. "Indian bank efficiency and productivity changes with undesirable outputs:A disaggregated approach," MPRA Paper 92657, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Subhash Ray, 2007.
"Are some Indian banks too large? An examination of size efficiency in Indian banking,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 41-56, February.
- Subhash Ray, 2004. "Are Some Indian Bank Too Large? A Examination of Size Efficiency in Indian Banking," Working papers 2004-28, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Subhash C. Ray & Abhiman Das & Kankana Mukherjee, 2017. "Labor-Cost Efficiency with Indivisible Outputs and Inputs: A Study of Indian Bank Branches," Working papers 2017-04, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Rajeswari Sengupta & Harsh Vardhan, 2020. "Are more productive banks always better?," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2020-027, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Dipasha Sharma, 2018. "Stock Market Performance and Efficiency of Banks in a Developing Economy: Evidence from the Indian Banking Sector," IIM Kozhikode Society & Management Review, , vol. 7(2), pages 178-193, July.
- Bhattacharyya, Aditi & Pal, Sudeshna, 2013. "Financial reforms and technical efficiency in Indian commercial banking: A generalized stochastic frontier analysis," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 109-117.
- Sunil Kumar, 2013. "Banking reforms and the evolution of cost efficiency in Indian public sector banks," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 143-182, May.
- Ghosh, Saibal, 2013. "Macroprudential regulation and bank performance:Does ownership matter?," MPRA Paper 65212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rishabh Goswami & Farah Hussain & Manish Kumar, 2019. "Banking Efficiency Determinants in India: A Two-stage Analysis," Margin: The Journal of Applied Economic Research, National Council of Applied Economic Research, vol. 13(4), pages 361-380, November.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- Meryem Duygun Fethi & Mohamed Shaban & Thomas Weyman-Jones, 2009. "Liberalisation, privatisation and the productivity of Egyptian banks: a non-parametric approach," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(7), pages 1143-1163, September.
More about this item
KeywordsTotal Factor Productivity; Technical Change; Technical Efficiency Change; Scale (Efficiency) Change Factor; Data Envelopment Analysis; Liberalisation;
All these keywords.
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:3181. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.esocialsciences.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Padma Prakash (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.esocialsciences.org .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.