The Yuanâ€™s Exchange Rates and Pass-through Effects on the Prices of Japanese and US Imports
This paper estimated the pass-through effects of yuanâ€™s exchange rates on prices of the US and Japanese imports from the Peopleâ€™s Republic of China (PRC). Empirical results show that, a 1% nominal appreciation of the yuan would result in a 0.23% increase in prices of the US imports in the short run and 0.47% in the long run. Japanese import prices were relatively more responsive to changes of the bilateral exchange rates between the yuan and the yen. For a 1% nominal appreciation of the yuan against the yen, Japanese import prices would be expected to rise 0.55% in the short run and 0.99%, a complete pass-through, in the long run. [ADBI Working Paper 216]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Vigfusson & Nathan Sheets & Joseph E. Gagnon, 2007. "Exchange rate pass-through to export prices: assessing some cross-country evidence," International Finance Discussion Papers 902, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Willem Thorbecke & Gordon Smith, 2010. "How Would an Appreciation of the Renminbi and Other East Asian Currencies Affect China's Exports?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 95-108, 02.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Lim, Edwin & Spence, Michael, 2006.
"China and the Global Economy: Medium-Term Issues and Options--A Synthesis Report,"
Working Paper Series
rwp06-029, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Edwin Lim & Michael Spence & Ricardo Hausmann, 2006. "China and the Global Economy: Medium-term Issues and Options - A Synthesis Report," CID Working Papers 126, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Jiawen Yang, 1997. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through In U.S. Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 95-104, February.
- Jiawen Yang, 1992. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 92-28, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:3130. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.