Fiscal Policy in the Crisis: Impact, Sustainability, and Long-Term Implications
The global economic and financial crisis has sparked an unprecedentedly large, generalized fiscal policy response in practically all major industrial and emerging economies, which will change the fiscal and macroeconomic landscapes for some time to come. This paper offers an overview of the new fiscal landscape looking at the following aspects: the size and composition of the fiscal stimulus packages of the major economies, the likely impact of such packages on aggregate demand and growth, the sustainability of countriesâ€™ fiscal positions, and the international implications of the new fiscal landscape. It then considers under which conditions a virtuous scenario could develop that combines strong and balanced growth with fiscal sustainability. Finally, it offers some conclusions and lessons that can be shared by European and non-European economies. [ADBI Working Paper 178]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Fiscal Implications of the Global Economic and Financial Crisis," IMF Occasional Papers 269, International Monetary Fund.
- Nathalie Girouard & Christophe André, 2005. "Measuring Cyclically-adjusted Budget Balances for OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 434, OECD Publishing.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth S., 2009.
"The Aftermath of Financial Crises,"
11129155, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," CEPR Discussion Papers 7209, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2008.
"Las secuelas de las crisis financieras
[The aftermath of financial crisis]," MPRA Paper 13695, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "The Aftermath of Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 14656, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael P. Dooley & David Folkerts-Landau & Peter Garber, 2003.
"An Essay on the Revived Bretton Woods System,"
NBER Working Papers
9971, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- T. Dhont & F. Heylen, 2006.
"Employment and growth in Europe and the US - The role of fiscal policy composition,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
06/420, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Tine Dhont & Freddy Heylen, 2009. "Employment and growth in Europe and the US--the role of fiscal policy composition," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(3), pages 538-565, July.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Meier, André & Müller, Gernot, 2009.
"Fiscal Stimulus with spending reversals,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7302, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- International Monetary Fund, 2009. "Fiscal Implications of the Global Economic and Financial Crisis," IMF Staff Position Notes 2009/13, International Monetary Fund.
- Gernot MÃ¼ller & Giancarlo Corsetti & Andre Meier, 2009. "Fiscal Stimulus with Spending Reversals," IMF Working Papers 09/106, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:3036. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.