Natural Resources and Chronic Poverty in India: A Review of Issues and Evidence
Natural resources perform multiple functions as a driver, maintainer, potential exit route, and also an effective escape mechanism in the context of poverty dynamics, especially in a predominantly agrarian economy such as India. The discourse on poverty reduction however, has often overlooked some of the major concerns of natural resource management, despite recognizing the criticality of agricultural growth for reducing rural poverty in the country. This paper presents an overview of the interface between natural resources and poverty in India and pleads for better equity and sustainability in resource management by ensuring sustained investment in support institutions at various levels. [Working Paper No. 43]
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maler, Karl-Goran, 1995. "Poverty, institutions, and the environmental resource-base," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 39, pages 2371-2463 Elsevier.
- Ghatak, Subrata & Levine, Paul & Price, Stephen Wheatley, 1996. " Migration Theories and Evidence: An Assessment," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 159-98, June.
- Amita Shah & D. C. Sah, 2004. "Poverty among Tribals in South West Madhya Pradesh: has anything changed over time?," Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(2), pages 249-263.
- Lipton, Michael, 1980. "Migration from rural areas of poor countries: The impact on rural productivity and income distribution," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Sah, D.C. & Shah, Amita, 2005. "Migration in Remote Tribal Areas: Evidence from Southwestern Madhya Pradesh," Indian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, vol. 60(2).
- Raghbendra Jha & Anurag Sharma, 2003. "The Spatial Distribution of Rural Poverty in the Last Three Quinquennial Rounds of NSS," ASARC Working Papers 2003-02, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Gaiha, Raghav, 1989. "Poverty, Agricultural Production and Prices in Rural India--A Reformulation," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 333-52, June.
- Kapur Mehta, Aasha & Shah, Amita, 2003. "Chronic Poverty in India: Incidence, Causes and Policies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 491-511, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2773. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.