Quality Perceptions of Private Label Brands Conceptual Framework and Agenda for Research
The paper examines how retailers can influence the quality perceptions for private label brands by providing additional information cues to the customers. The nature of additional information cues may have differential impact on quality perceptions of private label brands vis-Ã -vis national brands. The paper proposes extrinsic high scope cues â€“ in form of manufacturerâ€™s name and public quality label â€“ to improve the quality perceptions of private label brands. Furthermore, the familiarity of the product may influence the quality perceptions, consequently influencing the purchase decision. The paper also proposes differential impact of information cues across different product categories on quality perceptions of private label brands. [W.P. No.2008-02-04]
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kirmani, Amna, 1990. " The Effect of Perceived Advertising Costs on Brand Perceptions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(2), pages 160-171, September.
- Simonson, Itamar, 1989. " Choice Based on Reasons: The Case of Attraction and Compromise Effects," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 158-174, September.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Riordan, Michael H, 1984. "Advertising as a Signal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(3), pages 427-450, June.
- Kirmani, Amna & Wright, Peter, 1989. " Money Talks: Perceived Advertising Expense and Expected Product Quality," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 344-353, December.
- Kapil Bawa & Robert Shoemaker, 2004. "The Effects of Free Sample Promotions on Incremental Brand Sales," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(3), pages 345-363, November.
- Wujin Chu & Woosik Chu, 1994. "Signaling Quality by Selling Through a Reputable Retailer: An Example of Renting the Reputation of Another Agent," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(2), pages 177-189.
- Serdar Sayman & Stephen J. Hoch & Jagmohan S. Raju, 2002. "Positioning of Store Brands," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(4), pages 378-397, June.
- Asher Wolinsky, 1983. "Prices as Signals of Product Quality," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 647-658.
- Sanjay K. Dhar & Stephen J. Hoch, 1997. "Why Store Brand Penetration Varies by Retailer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(3), pages 208-227.
- Dick, Alan & Chakravarti, Dipankar & Biehal, Gabriel, 1990. " Memory-Based Inferences during Consumer Choice," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 82-93, June.
- Narasimhan, Chakravarthi & Wilcox, Ronald T, 1998. "Private Labels and the Channel Relationship: A Cross-Category Analysis," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(4), pages 573-600, October.
- Nelson, Phillip, 1970. "Information and Consumer Behavior," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 311-329, March-Apr.
- Boulding, William & Kirmani, Amna, 1993. " A Consumer-Side Experimental Examination of Signaling Theory: Do Consumers Perceive Warranties as Signals of Quality?," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 111-123, June.
- Shimp, Terence A & Bearden, William O, 1982. " Warranty and Other Extrinsic Cue Effects on Consumers' Risk Perceptions," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(1), pages 38-46, June.
- Jagmohan S. Raju & Raj Sethuraman & Sanjay K. Dhar, 1995. "The Introduction and Performance of Store Brands," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(6), pages 957-978, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ess:wpaper:id:2756. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.