Holiday Destinations: Understanding the Travel Choices of Irish
This paper uses a McFadden choice model to measure the importance of destination, household and seasonal characteristics on the tourism destination choices of Irish households. The analysis is based on quarterly survey data of Irish households? travel destinations between 2000 and 2006. In total, some 55 000 holiday trips were observed. Destination characteristics such as temperature, GDP and coastline are found to positively influence choice probabilities, while population density and distance have a negative effect on choice. Household specific characteristics such as the numbers of people over 60 and children in a household are found to be important. We also identify differences in preferences across seasons and a change over time of the effect of destination country GDP on Irish holiday destination choices.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (353-1) 863 2000
Fax: (353-1) 863 2100
Web page: http://www.esri.ieEmail:
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Witt, Stephen F. & Witt, Christine A., 1995. "Forecasting tourism demand: A review of empirical research," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 447-475, September.
- John Hendrickx, 2001. "Special restrictions in multinomial logistic regression," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 10(56).
- Terry Long, B.Bridget, 2004. "How have college decisions changed over time? An application of the conditional logistic choice model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1-2), pages 271-296.
- Richard S.J. Tol & Andrea Bigano & Jacqueline M. Hamilton, 2005.
"The Impact of Climate on Holiday Destination Choice,"
2005.4, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Andrea Bigano & Jacqueline M. Hamilton & Richard S.J. Tol, 2004. "The Impact Of Climate On Holiday Destination Choice," Working Papers FNU-55, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Oct 2004.
- William Gould, 2000. "Interpreting logistic regression in all its forms," Stata Technical Bulletin, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(53).
- Jacqueline M. Hamilton & David J. Maddison & Richard S.J. Tol, 2005. "Climate preferences and destination choice: a segmentation approach," Working Papers FNU-90, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Sep 2005.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:esr:wpaper:wp210. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.