Austerity and the income distribution: the case of Cyprus
Â The economic crisis affecting Cyprus is likely to have considerable impact on the income distribution. Our analysis provides an early assessment of the short-run distributional effects of austerity measures. We distinguish between fiscal measures that affect wages, taxes and contribution rates and measures that directly affect the function of the welfare system. Using the tax-benefit EUROMOD model we attempt to quantify the distributional implications of both. The analysis focuses on the policy changes introduced over the period between 2011 and 2012, i.e. before the expected bailout deal between the government of Cyprus and the consortium of international lenders which is expected in spring 2013. Specifically, we simulate the ceteris paribus impact of the reforms on inequality and poverty as well as estimate how the burden of austerity has been shared across income groups.
|Date of creation:||27 Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: RAB Butler Building, University of Essex, Wivenhoe Park, Colchester, ESSEX C04 3SQ|
Phone: +44 (0)1206 872957
Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151
Web page: https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/euromod/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- François Bourguignon & Amadéo Spadaro, 2005.
"Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies,"
PSE Working Papers
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006. "Microsimulation as a tool for evaluating redistribution policies," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 77-106, April.
- François Bourguignon & Amedeo Spadaro, 2006. "Microsimulation as a Tool for Evaluating Redistribution Policies," Working Papers 20, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Amadéo Spadaro & François Bourguignon, 2006. "Microsimulation as a Tool for Evaluating Redistribution Policies," Post-Print halshs-00754162, HAL.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Callan, Tim & Leventi, Chrysa & Levy, Horacio & Matsaganis, Manos & Paulus, Alari & Sutherland, Holly, 2011. "The distributional effects of austerity measures: a comparison of six EU countries," EUROMOD Working Papers EM6/11, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- A. B. Atkinson, 2003.
"Income Inequality in OECD Countries: Data and Explanations,"
CESifo Economic Studies,
CESifo, vol. 49(4), pages 479-513.
- Anthony C. Atkinson, 2003. "Income Inequality in OECD Countries: Data and Explanations," CESifo Working Paper Series 881, CESifo Group Munich.
- Avram, Silvia & Figari, Francesco & Leventi, Chrysa & Levy, Horacio & Navicke, Jekaterina & Matsaganis, Manos & Militaru, Eva & Paulus, Alari & Rastrigina, Olga & Sutherland, Holly, 2013. "The distributional effects of fiscal consolidation in nine EU countries," EUROMOD Working Papers EM2/13, EUROMOD at the Institute for Social and Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ese:emodwp:em4-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jonathan Nears)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.