Citizenship acquisition, employment prospects and earnings: comparing two cool countries
Direct country comparisons on the effect of citizenship are rare. The aim of this paper is to analyse the citizenship effect on both employment probabilities and the relative income of work of immigrants in two countries, Canada and Sweden. We ask 'Is there a citizenship effect and if any, in which country is it that we find the largest effect and for which immigrant groups'. Using Instrumental Variable Regression to assess the clean effect of citizenship acquisition on data from the 2006 Canadian census and the 2006 Swedish registry we find that citizenship has a positive impact on both characteristics, and that it is often stronger in Sweden than in Canada.
|Date of creation:||15 Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/RSCAS/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aysegul KAYAOGLU & Ayhan KAYA, 2011. "Is National Citizenship Withering Away? : Social Affiliations and Labor Market Integration of Turkish Origin Immigrants in Germany and France," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2011033, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Chiswick, Barry R, 1978. "The Effect of Americanization on the Earnings of Foreign-born Men," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(5), pages 897-921, October.
- Steinhardt, Max Friedrich, 2008.
"Does citizenship matter? The economic impact of naturalizations in Germany,"
HWWI Research Papers
3-13, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Steinhardt, Max Friedrich, 2012. "Does citizenship matter? The economic impact of naturalizations in Germany," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 813-823.
- Max Friedrich Steinhardt, 2008. "Does citizenship matter? The economic impact of naturalizations in Germany," Development Working Papers 266, Centro Studi Luca d\'Agliano, University of Milano.
- Bernt Bratsberg & James F. Ragan & Zafar M. Nasir, 2002. "The Effect of Naturalization on Wage Growth: A Panel Study of Young Male Immigrants," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(3), pages 568-597, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erp:euirsc:p0309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerio PAPPALARDO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.