The Politics of Investment and Growth in Egypt: Towards A New Approach
How can governments achieve substantial increases in productive private investment? ‘Improve the investment climate’ is the dominant advice. However, national-level investment climate approaches have been criticized for not giving adequate attention to context and feasibility. This paper experiments with an approach which addresses these concerns by focusing on sectors and on the relationships between policy makers and investors. After setting out a framework for using this approach, the paper then examines whether it can explain the considerable inter-sectoral and inter-temporal differences in investment in Egypt. The paper shows that where public-private relationships are based on common interest, obstacles to investment and growth are more likely to be removed. The risk of abuse of such public-private interaction is acknowledged but in the examined sectors they have been effective transitional arrangements for enhancing investment and growth and for inducing a new dynamic.
|Date of creation:||09 Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:||09 Jan 2010|
|Publication status:||Published by The Economic Research Forum (ERF)|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 21 Al-Sad Al Aaly St. Dokki, Giza|
Web page: http://www.erf.org.eg
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo Hausmann & Lant Pritchett & Dani Rodrik, 2005.
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 303-329, December.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Pritchett, Lant & Rodrik, Dani, 2004. "Growth Accelerations," Working Paper Series rwp04-030, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Pritchett, Lant & Rodrik, Dani, 2004. "Growth Accelerations," CEPR Discussion Papers 4538, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Lant Pritchett & Dani Rodrik, 2004. "Growth Accelerations," NBER Working Papers 10566, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schmitz, Hubert, 1982. "Growth constraints on small-scale manufacturing in developing countries: a critical review," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 429-450, June.
- Tilman Altenburg & Christian von Drachenfels, 2006. "The 'New Minimalist Approach' to Private-Sector Development: A Critical Assessment," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 24(4), pages 387-411, 07.
- Robert H. Bates, 2004. "On The Politics of Property Rights by Haber, Razo, and Maurer," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(2), pages 494-500, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:erg:wpaper:546. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Namees Nabeel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.