The Influence of the Common Agricultural Policy and Heterogeneous Land Quality on Land Rent and Land Allocation
Against the background of the current discussion about the EU’s common agricultural policy (CAP) after 2013, the question of the impact of government support on land prices is crucially important. Validation of the CAP’s success also hinges on a proper assessment of a choice of policy instruments. This study therefore has the objective of investigating on a theoretical basis the effects of different government support measures on land rental prices and land allocation. The different measures under consideration are the price support, area payments and decoupled single farm payments (SFPs) of the CAP. Our approach evaluates the potential impact of each measure based on a Ricardian land rent model with heterogeneous land quality and multiple land uses. We start with a simple model of one output and two inputs, where a Cobb-Douglas production technology is assumed between the two factors of land and non-land inputs. In a second step, an outside option is introduced. This outside option, as opposed to land use of the Ricardian type, is independent of land quality. The results show that area payments and SFPs become fully capitalised into land rents, whereas in a price support scheme the capitalisation depends on per-acreage productivity. Moreover, in a price support scheme and a historical model, the capitalisation is positively influenced by land quality. Both area payments and price supports influence land allocation across different uses compared with no subsidies, where the shift tends to be larger in an area payment scheme than in a price support scheme. By contrast, SFPs do not influence land allocation.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place du Congrès, B-1000 Bruxelles|
Phone: (+322) 229-39-11
Fax: (+322) 229-39-71
Web page: http://www.ceps.eu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2010.
"Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(3), pages 789-802.
- Hongli Feng & Bruce A. Babcock, 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 08-wp472, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Feng, Hongli & Babcock, Bruce A., 2008. "Impacts of Ethanol on Planted Acreage in Market Equilibrium," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12959, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Laure Latruffe & Chantal Le MouÃ«l, 2009. "Capitalization Of Government Support In Agricultural Land Prices: What Do We Know?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(4), pages 659-691, 09.
- Frédéric Courleux & Hervé Guyomard & Fabrice Levert & Laurent Piet, 2008. "How the EU Single Farm Payment should be modelled: lump-sum transfers, area payments or… what else?," Working Papers SMART - LERECO 08-01, INRA UMR SMART.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d’Artis & Swinnen, Jo, 2012.
"Income Distributional Effects of Decoupled Payments: Single Payment Scheme in the European Union,"
Factor Markets Working Papers
134, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Jo Swinnen, 2008. "Static and Dynamic Distributional Effects of Decoupled Payments," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Society, vol. 51(2), pages 20-47.
- Pavel Ciaian & d'Artis Kancs & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2008. "Static and Dynamic Distributional Effects of Decoupled Payments: Single Farm Payments in the European Union," LICOS Discussion Papers 20708, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis & Swinnen, Johan F.M., 2012. "Income Distributional Effects of Decoupled Payments: Single Payment Scheme in the European Union," Working Papers 129428, Factor Markets, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Vincent Martinet, 2012.
"Effect of soil heterogeneity on the welfare economics of biofuel policies,"
EconomiX Working Papers
2012-13, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Vincent Martinet, 2012. "Effect of soil heterogeneity on the welfare economics of biofuel policies," Working Papers 2012/01, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Johan Swinnen & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2008.
"Study on the Functioning of Land Markets in the EU Member States under the Influence of Measures applied under the Common Agricultural Policy,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI_RP_2008_04, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Johan Swinnen & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2008. "Functioning of Land Markets in the EU Member States," Journal of Economics and Econometrics, Economics and Econometrics Society, vol. 51(2), pages 48-62.
- Chantal Le Mouel, 2004. "Impacts of alternative agricultural income support schemes on multiple policy goals," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 125-148, June.
- Guyomard, Herve & Lankoski, Jussi E. & Ollikainen, Markku, 2006. "Impacts of Agri-Environmental Policies on Land Allocation and Land Prices," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25310, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eps:fmwppr:149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Kaditi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.