The Sovereign Debt Crisis: Placing a curb on growth
To ward off the threat of a worldwide depression that loomed at the end of the 2000s, governments opted to run up substantial fiscal deficits. In doing so, they sowed the seeds of the sovereign debt crisis. Saddled with often high debt burdens and modest growth prospects, developed countries’ governments must now rebalance their budgets. Doing so too rapidly, however, will choke growth. Faced with this dilemma, Japan and the United States have pursued growth policies while the euro area members are quickly trying to rebalance their budgets. This book explores the respective risks associated with these two strategies. It further investigates the consequences for the international monetary and financial system of developing countries’ public debts ceasing to be risk-free.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Place du Congrès, B-1000 Bruxelles|
Phone: (+322) 229-39-11
Fax: (+322) 229-39-71
Web page: http://www.ceps.eu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin S. Markle & Douglas A. Shackelford, 2011. "Cross-Country Comparisons of Corporate Income Taxes," NBER Working Papers 16839, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Suzuki, Wataru & Zhou, Yanfei, 2010. "Increasing National Pension Premium Defaulters and Dropouts in Japan," PIE/CIS Discussion Paper 463, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2011.
"Target Loans, Current Account Balances and Capital Flows: The ECB’s Rescue Facility,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3500, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershäuser, 2012. "Target loans, current account balances and capital flows: the ECB’s rescue facility," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 19(4), pages 468-508, August.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2012. "Target loans, current account balances and capital flows: The ECB’s rescue facility," Munich Reprints in Economics 19556, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Timo Wollmershaeuser, 2011. "Target Loans, Current Account Balances and Capital Flows: The ECB's Rescue Facility," NBER Working Papers 17626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Yuji HORIOKA & Wataru SUZUKI & Tatsuo HATTA, 2007.
"Aging, Savings, and Public Pensions in Japan,"
Asian Economic Policy Review,
Japan Center for Economic Research, vol. 2(2), pages 303-319.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Wataru Suzuki & Tatsuo Hatta, 2007. "Aging, Saving, and Public Pensions in Japan," ISER Discussion Paper 0692, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Wataru Suzuki & Tatsuo Hatta, 2007. "Aging, Saving, and Public Pensions in Japan," NBER Working Papers 13273, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthieu Bussière & Giovanni Callegari & Fabio Ghironi & Giulia Sestieri & Norihiko Yamano, 2013.
"Estimating Trade Elasticities: Demand Composition and the Trade Collapse of 2008-2009,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 5(3), pages 118-51, July.
- Matthieu Bussière & Giovanni Callegari & Fabio Ghironi & Giulia Sestieri & Norihiko Yamano, 2011. "Estimating Trade Elasticities: Demand Composition and the Trade Collapse of 2008-09," NBER Working Papers 17712, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen M. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2010.
"Growth in a Time of Debt,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7661, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011.
"The Liquidation of Government Debt,"
NBER Working Papers
16893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carmen Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2015. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," IMF Working Papers 15/7, International Monetary Fund.
- Carmen M. & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," Working Paper Series WP11-10, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011. "The Liquidation of Government Debt," BIS Working Papers 363, Bank for International Settlements.
- Daniel Leigh & Andrea Pescatori & Jaime Guajardo, 2011. "Expansionary Austerity New International Evidence," IMF Working Papers 11/158, International Monetary Fund.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4184 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/4186 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eps:cepswp:6951. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Minkova)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.