The Political Economy of Textbook Writing: Paul Samuelson and the making of the first ten Editions of Economics (1945-1976)
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Yann Giraud, 2013. "The Political Economy of Textbook Writing : Paul Samuelson and the making of the first Ten Editions of Economics (1945-1976)," Working Papers hal-00870494, HAL.
References listed on IDEAS
- Barnett, William A., 2004.
"An Interview With Paul A. Samuelson,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 519-542, September.
- William A. Barnett & Paul A. Samuelson, 2004. "An Interview with Paul A. Samuelson," Method and Hist of Econ Thought 0405006, EconWPA.
- William Barnett, 2004. "An Interview with Paul A. Samuelson," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200401, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised May 2004.
- Mark Skousen, 1997. "The Perseverance of Paul Samuelson's Economics," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 137-152, Spring.
- Paul A. Samuelson & Harold W. McGraw & William D. Nordhaus & Orley Ashenfelter & Robert M. Solow & Stanley Fischer, 1999. "Samuelson's Economics at Fifty: Remarks on the Occasion of the Anniversary of Publication," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(4), pages 352-363, December.
- Barnett, William A. & Solow, Robert, 2000.
"An Interview With Franco Modigliani,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(02), pages 222-256, June.
- William Barnett & Robert Solow, 2004. "An Interview With Franco Modigliani," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200407, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2004.
- William A. Barnett & Robert Solow, 2004. "An Interview with Franco Modigliani," Macroeconomics 0409002, EconWPA.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1997. "Credo of a Lucky Textbook Author," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 11(2), pages 153-160, Spring.
- Paul A. Samuelson, 1998. "How Foundations Came to Be," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(3), pages 1375-1386, September.
- Jean-Baptiste Fleury, 2012. "The evolving notion of relevance: an historical perspective to the ‘economics made fun’ movement," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 303-316, September.
- Samuels, Warren J., 2002. "Machine Dreams: Economics Becomes a Cyborg Science. By Philip Mirowski. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002. Pp. xiv, 655. $35.00, paper," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 62(03), pages 913-915, September.
- Giraud, Yann B., 2010.
"The Changing Place Of Visual Representation In Economics: Paul Samuelson Between Principle And Strategy, 1941–1955,"
Journal of the History of Economic Thought,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 175-197, June.
- Yann Giraud, 2010. "The Changing Place of Visual Representation in Economics: Paul Samuelson between Principle and Strategy, 1941-1955," Post-Print hal-00870392, HAL.
- Samuelson, Paul A., 1987. "Out of the Closet: A Program For the Whig History of Economic Science: Keynote Address at History of Economics Society Boston Meeting, June 20, 1987," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(01), pages 51-60, September.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- These dangerous postmodern relativists, Part I: Merchants of doubt
by yanngiraud in History of Economics Playground on 2011-11-15 19:37:06
- PAUL SAMUELSON A LEFTWING SUBVERSIVE?
by Gavin Kennedy in Adam Smith's Lost Legacy on 2014-06-05 01:38:00
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- De Vroey Michel & Duarte Pedro Garcia, 2013.
"In search of lost time: the neoclassical synthesis,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 13(1), pages 1-31, January.
- Michel De Vroey & Pedro Garcia Duarte, 2012. "In Search of Lost Time: The Neoclassical Synthesis," Working Papers, Department of Economics 2012_07, University of São Paulo (FEA-USP).
- Michel DE VROEY & Pedro GARCIA DUARTE, 2012. "In Search Of Lost Time: The Neoclassical Synthesis," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2012026, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Pedro Garcia Duarte & Michel De Vroey, 2014. "In Search Of Lost Time: The Neoclassicalsynthesis," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 005, ANPEC - AssociaÃ§Ã£o Nacional dos Centros de PÃ³s-GraduaÃ§Ã£o em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Béatrice CHERRIER & Jean-Baptiste FLEURY, 2014. "Whose values? The Rise, Fragmentation and Marginalization of Collective Choice in Postwar Economics, 1940-1981," Economics Working Paper from Condorcet Center for political Economy at CREM-CNRS 2014-05-ccr, Condorcet Center for political Economy.
- Roger Backhouse, 2014. "Hans Apel, Samuelson's Economics and Academic Freedom, 1950-57," Discussion Papers 14-12, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
More about this item
KeywordsPaul Samuelson; Economics; Textbook; Politics; Economic Education;
- A14 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - Sociology of Economics
- B20 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - General
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-10-09 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HME-2011-10-09 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-HPE-2011-10-09 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ema:worpap:2011-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stefania Marcassa). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/themafr.html .