Trade Unions and ‘Europe’: Are the Members out of Step?
The ‘no’ vote in the Irish referendum of June 2008 on the Lisbon Treaty – reversed in October 2009 – threw the European Union into crisis. Yet it reflected a familiar pattern of popular rejection of initiatives on European integration. This article provides an overview of such referendums in western Europe (unfortunately, the author lacks the linguistic competence to cover most post-2004 member states). It is evident that while mainstream trade unions (or at least their leaders) have usually endorsed the integration process, in most countries where referendums have been held their members have voted otherwise. Such rejection has often been based on ‘progressive’ rather than ‘reactionary’ grounds. Popular attitudes are malleable, but it requires a major strategic re-orientation if unions are to reconnect with their members in order to build a popular movement for a genuinely social Europe.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/LEQS/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karin Gilland, 2002. "Ireland's (First) Referendum on the Treaty of Nice," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(3), pages 527-535, 09.
- MARK FRANKLIN & MICHAEL MARSH & LAUREN McLAREN, 1994. "Uncorking the Bottle: Popular Opposition to European Unification in the Wake of Maastricht," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(4), pages 455-472, December.
- Wolfram Kaiser, 1995. "Austria in the European Union," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 411-425, 09.
- Ingrid Sogner & Clive Archer, 1995. "Norway and Europe: 1972 and Now," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 389-410, 09.
- Pascal Sciarini & Ola Listhaug, 1997. "Single Cases or a Unique Pair? The Swiss and Norwegian 'No' to Europe," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(3), pages 407-438, 09.
- Marcel Lubbers, 2008. "Regarding the Dutch `Nee' to the European Constitution," European Union Politics, , vol. 9(1), pages 59-86, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eiq:eileqs:14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Katjana Gattermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.