Monopoly price discrimination with constant elasticity demand
This paper presents new results on the welfare e¤ects of third-degree price discrimination under constant elasticity demand. We show that when both the share of the strong market under uniform pricing and the elasticity di¤erence between markets are high enough,then price discrimination not only can increase social welfare but also consumer surplus.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenida Lehendakari Aguirre, 83, 48015 Bilbao|
Web page: http://www.ehu.es/fundamentosI/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Dpto. de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I, Facultad de CC. Económicas y Empresariales, Universidad del País Vasco, Avda. Lehendakari Aguirre 83, 48015 Bilbao, Spain|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Cowan, 2012.
"Third-Degree Price Discrimination and Consumer Surplus,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(2), pages 333-345, 06.
- Simon GB Cowan & Simon Cowan, 2009. "Third-Degree Price Discrimination and Consumer Surplus," Economics Series Working Papers 462, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- E. Glen Weyl & Michal Fabinger, 2013. "Pass-Through as an Economic Tool: Principles of Incidence under Imperfect Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 121(3), pages 528 - 583.
- Greenhut, M L & Ohta, H, 1976. "Joan Robinson's Criterion for Deciding Whether Market Discriminntion Reduces Output," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 86(341), pages 96-97, March.
- Jeremy Bulow & Paul Klemperer, 2012.
"Regulated Prices, Rent Seeking, and Consumer Surplus,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 120(1), pages 160 - 186.
- Jeremy Bulow & Paul Klemperer, 2012. "Regulated Prices, Rent-Seeking, and Consumer Surplus," Economics Papers 2012-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Paul Klemperer & Jeremy Bulow, 2012. "Regulated Prices, Rent-Seeking, and Consumer Surplus," Economics Series Working Papers 595, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- John K.‐H. Quah & Bruno Strulovici, 2012. "Aggregating the Single Crossing Property," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 80(5), pages 2333-2348, 09.
- Cowan, Simon & Vickers, John & Aguirre Pérez, Iñaki, 2009.
"Monopoly Price Discrimination and Demand Curvature,"
2009-39, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- I�aki Aguirre & Simon Cowan & John Vickers, 2010. "Monopoly Price Discrimination and Demand Curvature," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1601-15, September.
- Iñaki Aguirre, 2006. "Monopolistic price discrimination and output effect under conditions of constant elasticity demand," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(23), pages 1-6.
- Nahata, Babu & Ostaszewski, Krzysztof & Sahoo, P K, 1990. "Direction of Price Changes in Third-Degree Price Discrimination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1254-58, December.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1981.
"Output and Welfare Implications of Monopolistic Third-Degree Price Discrimination,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 71(1), pages 242-47, March.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1980. "Output and welfare implications of monopolistic third-degree price discrimination," Working papers 1095-80., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Schwartz, Marius, 1990. "Third-Degree Price Discrimination and Output: Generalizing a Welfare Result," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1259-62, December.
- Formby, John P & Layson, Stephen K & Smith, W James, 1983. "Price Discrimination, 'Adjusted Concavity,' and Output Changes under Conditions of Constant Elasticity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 892-99, December.
- Varian, Hal R, 1985. "Price Discrimination and Social Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 870-75, September.
- Iñaki Aguirre, 2008. "Output and misallocation effects in monopolistic third-degree price discrimination," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(11), pages 1-11.
- W. Leontief, 1940. "The Theory of Limited and Unlimited Discrimination," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 54(3), pages 490-501.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehu:ikerla:11103. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alcira Macías Redondo)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.