Output and misallocation effects in monopolistic third-degree price discrimination
This paper shows how the welfare effects of third-degree price discrimination may be decomposed into two effects: a misallocation effect and an output effect. It also presents a geometrical analysis which shows how the welfare properties of third-degree price discrimination must be assessed using nonlinear demands, and hence how linear demands are not suitable for the analysis.
Volume (Year): 4 (2008)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schwartz, Marius, 1990. "Third-Degree Price Discrimination and Output: Generalizing a Welfare Result," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1259-1262, December.
- Maarten Dossche & Freddy Heylen & Dirk Van den Poel, 2010.
"The Kinked Demand Curve and Price Rigidity: Evidence from Scanner Data,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 112(4), pages 723-752, December.
- M. Dossche & F. Heylen & D. Van Den Poel, 2006. "The Kinked Demand Curve and Price Rigidity : Evidence from Scanner Data," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 06/429, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Maarten Dossche & Freddy Heylen & Dirk Van den Poel, 2006. "The kinked demand curve and price rigidity : evidence from scanner data," Working Paper Research 99, National Bank of Belgium.
- Varian, Hal R, 1985. "Price Discrimination and Social Welfare," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 870-875, September.
- Hubbell, Bryan J. & Marra, Michele C. & Carlson, Gerald A., 2000. "Estimating The Demand For A New Technology: Bt Cotton And Insecticide Policies In The Southeast," Proceedings:Transitions in Agbiotech: Economics of Strategy and Policy, June 24-25, 1999, Washington, D.C. 26016, Regional Research Project NE-165 Private Strategies, Public Policies, and Food System Performance.
- Simon GB Cowan & Simon Cowan, 2004. "The welfare effects of third-degree price discrimination," Economics Series Working Papers 205, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Formby, John P & Layson, Stephen K & Smith, W James, 1983. "Price Discrimination, 'Adjusted Concavity,' and Output Changes under Conditions of Constant Elasticity," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 892-899, December.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 1981. "Output and Welfare Implications of Monopolistic Third-Degree Price Discrimination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(1), pages 242-247, March.
- Schmalensee, Richard., 1980. "Output and welfare implications of monopolistic third-degree price discrimination," Working papers 1095-80., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Layson, Stephen, 1988. "Third-Degree Price Discrimination, Welfare and Profits: A Geometrical Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1131-1132, December.
- John Vickers & Simon Cowan, 2007. "Output and Welfare Effects in the Classic Monopoly Price Discrimination Problem," Economics Series Working Papers 355, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Aguirre Pérez, Iñaki, 2009. "Joan Robinson Was Almost Right: Output under Third-Degree Price Discrimination," IKERLANAK 2009-38, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Iñaki Aguirre, 2006. "Monopolistic price discrimination and output effect under conditions of constant elasticity demand," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(23), pages 1-6.
- Bryan J. Hubbell & Michele C. Marra & Gerald A. Carlson, 2000. "Estimating the Demand for a New Technology: Bt Cotton and Insecticide Policies," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(1), pages 118-132. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)