Challenges of Transformation: Innovation, Re-bundling and Traditional Manufacturing in Canada's Technology Triangle
This paper develops a perspective of regional re-bundling in overcoming economic crises. It does this by focusing on the effects of the recent global financial crisis on traditional manufacturing. We analyze the structure of innovation processes and their development over time in CanadaÕs Technology Triangle Ð a region known for university-related spin-off processes and successful modernization. What is less well-known is that this region has been strongly influenced by traditional manufacturing industries. We show that these industries have been well prepared to deal with the effects of the crisis due to ongoing innovation and diversification stimulated by prior economic crises.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Secretariaat kamer 635, P.O.Box 80.115, 3508 TC Utrecht|
Web page: http://econ.geo.uu.nl
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ron A. Boschma & Jan G. Lambooy, 1999. "Evolutionary economics and economic geography," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 411-429.
- Scott, Allen J., 1999. "Regions and the World Economy: The Coming Shape of Global Production, Competition, and Political Order," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296584.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning & Ron Boschma, 2011.
"How Do Regions Diversify over Time? Industry Relatedness and the Development of New Growth Paths in Regions,"
Clark University, vol. 87(3), pages 237-265, 07.
- Frank Neffke & Martin Henning & Martin Ron Boschma, 2009. "How do regions diversify over time? Industry relatedness and the development of new growth paths in regions," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0916, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Oct 2009.
- Kaufmann, A. & Lehner, P. & Todtling, F., 2003. "Effects of the Internet on the spatial structure of innovation networks," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 402-424, September.
- Tödtling, Franz & Kaufmann, Alexander & Lehner, Patrick, 2002. "Effects of the internet on the spatial structure of innovation networks," ERSA conference papers ersa02p198, European Regional Science Association.
- Foss, Nicolai J. (ed.), 1997. "Resources, Firms, and Strategies: A Reader in the Resource-Based Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198781790.
- Gertler, Meric S., 2004. "Manufacturing Culture: The Institutional Geography of Industrial Practice," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198233824.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2006. "Path dependence and regional economic evolution," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(4), pages 395-437, August.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2006. "Path Dependence and Regional Economic Evolution," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0606, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Mar 2006.
- Danny MacKinnon & Andrew Cumbers & Andy Pike & Kean Birch & Robert McMaster, 2009. "Evolution in Economic Geography: Institutions, Political Economy, and Adaptation," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 85(2), pages 129-150, 04.
- Andy Pike & Stuart Dawley & John Tomaney, 2010. "Resilience, adaptation and adaptability," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 3(1), pages 59-70.
- James Simmie & Ron Martin, 2009. "The economic resilience of regions: towards an evolutionary approach," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 3(1), pages 27-43.
- Welch, Catherine & Marschan-Piekkari, Rebecca & Penttinen, Heli & Tahvanainen, Marja, 2002. "Corporate elites as informants in qualitative international business research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 611-628, October.
- Koen Frenken & Frank Van Oort & Thijs Verburg, 2007. "Related Variety, Unrelated Variety and Regional Economic Growth," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 685-697.
- Harald Bathelt & Dieter Kogler & Andrew Munro, 2011. "Social Foundations of Regional Innovation and the Role of University Spin-Offs: The Case of Canada's Technology Triangle," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(5), pages 461-486.
- Ron Boschma & Koen Frenken, 2009. "Technological relatedness and regional branching," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 0907, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Jun 2009.
- Robert Hassink, 2005. "How to unlock regional economies from path dependency? From learning region to learning cluster," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(4), pages 521-535, June.
- Susan Christopherson & Jonathan Michie & Peter Tyler, 2010. "Regional resilience: theoretical and empirical perspectives," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 3(1), pages 3-10.
- Bramwell, Allison & Wolfe, David A., 2008. "Universities and regional economic development: The entrepreneurial University of Waterloo," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1175-1187, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:egu:wpaper:1111. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.