Poverty and Expenditure Differentiation of the Russian Population
The problem of poverty and inequality measurement in contemporary Russian society is considered within the framework of the general problem of social tension reduction via efficient organization of the social assistance system. We argue that features specific to Russian transition stipulate that poverty indicators (e.g., Foster-Greer-Thorbecke family) be calculated on the basis of expenditure rather than income as it is usually done. These features are also accounted for in the econometric model of per capita expenditure distribution. The model includes special methods to calibrate, or to adjust, the distributions obtained from the official budget surveys' statistics. The results of the empirical approbation of the technique are reported, which use the RLMS (Rounds 5 – 8) statistical data as well as budget surveys of Komi Republic, Volgograd and Omsk regions.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 1, Mazepy Str., suite 202, Kyiv, 01010 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 1, Mazepy Str., suite 202, Kyiv, 01010 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Esteban, J.M. & Ray, D., 1992.
"On the Measurement of Polarization,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
171.92, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Esteban, J. & Ray, D., 1993. "On the Measurement of Polarization," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 221.93, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Joan-Maria Esteban & Debraj Ray, 1991. "On the Measurement of Polarization," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 18, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Atkinson, A B, 1987. "On the Measurement of Poverty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 749-64, July.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Differences in Needs and Assessment of Income Distributions," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 77-124, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:01-01e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.