Income Mobility in Russia (2000 – 2005)
Although much research has been conducted on annual income inequality in Russia, little has been know about longer-run measures of income inequality and on income mobility. Using the data from the Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey, this paper investigates income mobility in Russia during the period of rapid economic growth. Employing a broad set of mobility indices, we show that there is much mobility in household incomes from one year to the next in Russia. There is some evidence of greater mobility for those in the tails of the income distribution relative to the middle. However, income movements in Russia over this period are largely associated with transitory rather than permanent changes.
|Date of creation:||06 Nov 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 1, Mazepy Str., suite 202, Kyiv, 01010 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Van Kerm, Philippe, 2003.
"Trends in income inequality, pro-poor income growth and income mobility,"
IRISS Working Paper Series
2003-11, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Stephen P. Jenkins & Philippe Van Kerm, 2006. "Trends in income inequality, pro-poor income growth, and income mobility," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 531-548, July.
- Stephen P. Jenkins & Philippe VanKerm, 2003. "Trends in Income Inequality, Pro-Poor Income Growth and Income Mobility," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 377, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Jenkins, Stephen P. & Van Kerm, Philippe, 2003. "Trends in Income Inequality, Pro-Poor Income Growth and Income Mobility," IZA Discussion Papers 904, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ding, Ning & Wang, Yougui, 2008. "Household income mobility in China and its decomposition," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 373-380, September.
- Simon Commander & Andrei Tolstopiatenko & Ruslan Yemtsov, 1999.
"Channels of redistribution: Inequality and poverty in the Russian transition,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(2), pages 411-447, July.
- Simon Commander & Andrei Tolstopiantenko & Ruslan Yemtsov, 1997. "Channels of Redistribution: Inequality and Poverty in the Russian Transition," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 42, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Niny Khor & John Pencavel, 2006.
"Income Mobility of Individuals In China and the United States,"
05-009, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Niny Khor & John Pencavel, 2006. "Income mobility of individuals in China and the United States," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 14(3), pages 417-458, 07.
- Khor, Niny & Pencavel, John, 2006. "Income Mobility of Individuals in China and the United States," IZA Discussion Papers 2003, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Irina Denisova, 2007. "Entry to and Exit from Poverty in Russia: Evidence from Longitudinal Data," Working Papers w0098, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Shorrocks, Anthony, 1978. "Income inequality and income mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 376-393, December.
- Buckley, Robert M & Gurenko, Eugene N, 1997. "Housing and Income Distribution in Russia: Zhivago's Legacy," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 19-32, February.
- Lokshin, Michael & Popkin, Barry M, 1999. "The Emerging Underclass in the Russian Federation: Income Dynamics, 1992-1996," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(4), pages 803-29, July.
- Mitra, Pradeep & Yemtsov, Ruslan, 2006. "Increasing inequality in transition economies : is there more to come?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4007, The World Bank.
- Flemming, J.S. & Micklewright, John, 2000.
"Income distribution, economic systems and transition,"
Handbook of Income Distribution,
in: A.B. Atkinson & F. Bourguignon (ed.), Handbook of Income Distribution, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 14, pages 843-918
- John Flemming & John Micklewright, 1999. "Income Distribution, Economic Systems and Transition," Innocenti Occasional Papers, Economic Policy Series iopeps99/69, UNICEF Innocenti Research Centre.
- Fields, Gary S & Ok, Efe A, 1999. "Measuring Movement of Incomes," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(264), pages 455-71, November.
- Luis Ayala & Mercedes Sastre, 2008. "The structure of income mobility: empirical evidence from five UE countries," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 451-473, November.
- Jarvis, Sarah & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1998. "How Much Income Mobility Is There in Britain?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(447), pages 428-43, March.
- Aivazian Sergey & Kolenikov Stanislav, 2001. "Poverty and Expenditure Differentiation of the Russian Population," EERC Working Paper Series 01-01e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Frank Cowell & Christian Schluter, 1998. "Income mobility : a robust approach," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2210, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lokshin Michael & Ravallion Martin, 2004. "Household Income Dynamics in Two Transition Economies," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 8(3), pages 1-33, September.
- Jovanovic, Branko, 2001. "Russian Roller Coaster: Expenditure Inequality and Instability in Russia, 1994-98," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 47(2), pages 251-71, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:09/02e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.