Life Cycle Income and Consumption Patterns in Transition
There is vast literature examining how households’ income and consumption change over the life cycle. These studies, however, are usually restricted to developed economies. The main objective of this paper is to add to this literature by investigating the life cycle profiles and relative income mobility in a transition economy, facing rapid structural economic and social changes, such as Poland. I show that, in contrast to the US, where income inequality over the life cycle follows a roughly linear trend, the age-variance profile of income in Poland is hump-shaped. This finding might indicate that the income process at a micro level in Poland exhibits less persistence than in the US. The estimates of relative income mobility confirm this conjecture.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: ul. Dluga 44/50, 00-241 Warszawa|
Phone: (+48 22) 55 49 144
Fax: (+48 22) 831 28 46
Web page: http://www.wne.uw.edu.pl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Díaz-Giménez & Andrew Glover & José-Víctor Ríos-Rull, 2011. "Facts on the distributions of earnings, income, and wealth in the United States: 2007 update," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Storesletten, Kjetil & Telmer, Chris & Yaron, Amir, 2002.
"Consumption and Risk Sharing Over the Life Cycle,"
702, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris I. Telmer & Amir Yaron, 2000. "Consumption and Risk Sharing Over the Life Cycle," NBER Working Papers 7995, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kjetil Storesletten & Chris Telmer & Amir Yaron, 1997. "Consumption and risk sharing over the life cycle," GSIA Working Papers 228, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- repec:nbp:nbpbik:v:43:y:2012:i:5:p:5-20 is not listed on IDEAS
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Abe, Naohito & Yamada, Tomoaki, 2009.
"Nonlinear income variance profiles and consumption inequality over the life cycle,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 344-366, September.
- Naohito Abe & Tomoaki Yamada, 2006. "Nonlinear Income Variance Profile and Consumption Inequality over the Life Cycle," Bank of Japan Working Paper Series 06-E-1, Bank of Japan.
- Blau, David M., 2007.
"Retirement and Consumption in a Life Cycle Model,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2986, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Lukiyanova, Anna & Oshchepkov, Aleksey, 2012.
"Income mobility in Russia (2000–2005),"
Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 46-64.
- Aaberge, Rolf, et al, 2002.
"Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(4), pages 443-69, December.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Björklund, Anders & Jäntti, Markus & Palme, Mårten & Pedersen, Peder & Smith, Nina & Wennemo, Tom, 1996. "Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 98, Stockholm School of Economics, revised Aug 2002.
- Rolf Aaberge & Anders Björklund & Markus Jäntti & Mårten Palme & Peder J. Pedersen & Nina Smith & Tom Wennemo, 1996. "Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States," Discussion Papers 168, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Fang Yang, 2009.
"Consumption over the Life Cycle: How Different is Housing?,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 12(3), pages 423-443, July.
- Fang Yang, 2008. "Code and data files for "Consumption over the Life Cycle: How Different is Housing?"," Computer Codes 06-210, Review of Economic Dynamics.
- Cagetti, Marco, 2003. "Wealth Accumulation over the Life Cycle and Precautionary Savings," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(3), pages 339-53, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:war:wpaper:2012-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcin Bąba)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.