Financing Adaptation to Climate-Induced Retreat from Coastal Inundation and Erosion
Climate projections suggest increased inundation and erosion of beachfront property on the east coast of Australia over the coming century. Protective measures and accommodation to the effects of flooding offer initial lines of defence, but managed retreat will ultimately be required for some property owners. Current and disaster management frameworks offer little policy guidance on who should pay for retreat, or how. Ordinary insurance, catastrophe insurance, group risk insurance, catastrophe bonds and reverse mortgages offer potential solutions, but are ultimately flawed. This paper examines an innovative proposal in the form of mortgage contingent loans which could minimise government involvement, and therefore the risk to taxpayers.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: http://ccep.anu.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009.
"The Economics of Natural Disasters - A Survey,"
200919, University of Hawaii at Manoa, Department of Economics.
- Eduardo A. Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009. "The Economics of Natural Disasters: A Survey," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6779, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Cavallo & Ilan Noy, 2009. "The Economics of Natural Disasters: A Survey," Research Department Publications 4649, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Paul Raschky & Hannelore Weck-Hannemann, 2007. "Charity hazard - A real hazard to natural disaster insurance," Working Papers 2007-04, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Wang, H. Holly, 2000. "Zone-Based Group Risk Insurance," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:een:ccepwp:1113. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Stern)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.