Efficient Nash Equilibrium under Adverse Selection
This paper revisits the problem of adverse selection in the insurance market of Rothschild and Stiglitz . We propose a simple extension of the game-theoretic structure in Hellwig  under which Nash-type strategic interaction between the informed customers and the uninformed firms results always in a particular separating equilibrium. The equilibrium allocation is unique and Pareto-efficient in the interim sense subject to incentive-compatibility and individual rationality. In fact, it is the unique neutral optimum in the sense of Myerson .
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 31 Buccleuch Place, EH8 9JT, Edinburgh|
Web page: http://www.sire.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre Picard, 2014.
"Participating Insurance Contracts and the Rothschild-Stiglitz Equilibrium Puzzle,"
The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 39(2), pages 153-175, September.
- Pierre Picard, 2009. "Participating insurance contracts and the Rothschild-Stiglitz equilibrium puzzle," Working Papers hal-00413825, HAL.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2001.
"Competitive Pooling: Rothschild-Stiglitz Reconsidered,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1346R2, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 2002.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2002. "Competitive Pooling: Rothschild-Stiglitz Reconsidered," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(4), pages 1529-1570.
- Pradeep Dubey & John Geanakoplos, 2001. "Competitive Pooling: Rothschild-Stiglitz Reconsidered," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1346, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- P. Dubey & J. Geanakoplos, 2001. "Competitive Pooling: Rothschild-Stiglitz Reconsidered," Department of Economics Working Papers 01-10, Stony Brook University, Department of Economics.
- von Siemens, Ferdinand & Kosfeld, Michael, 2009. "Negative Externalities and Equilibrium Existence in Competitive Markets with Adverse Selection," IZA Discussion Papers 4125, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Edward C Prescott & Robert M Townsend, 2010.
"Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria With Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2069, David K. Levine.
- Prescott, Edward C & Townsend, Robert M, 1984. "Pareto Optima and Competitive Equilibria with Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 21-45, January.
- Alberto Martin, 2003.
"On Rothschild-Stiglitz as competitive pooling,"
Economics Working Papers
917, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jan 2006.
- Robert Shimer & Randall Wright & Veronica Guerrieri, 2009.
"Adverse Selection in Competitive Search Equilibrium,"
2009 Meeting Papers
139, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Robert Shimer & Randall Wright, 2010. "Adverse Selection in Competitive Search Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 78(6), pages 1823-1862, November.
- Veronica Guerrieri & Robert Shimer & Randall Wright, 2009. "Adverse Selection in Competitive Search Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 14915, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fuente,Angel de la, 2000. "Mathematical Methods and Models for Economists," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521585293.
- Nick Netzer & Florian Scheuer, 2014.
"A Game Theoretic Foundation Of Competitive Equilibria With Adverse Selection,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 55, pages 399-422, 05.
- Nick Netzer & Florian Scheuer, 2012. "A Game Theoretic Foundation of Competitive Equilibria with Adverse Selection," NBER Working Papers 18471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engers, Maxim & Fernandez, Luis F, 1987. "Market Equilibrium with Hidden Knowledge and Self-selection," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 425-39, March.
- Hajime Miyazaki, 1977. "The Rat Race and Internal Labor Markets," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 8(2), pages 394-418, Autumn.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:sirdps:509. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.