Future of the Clean Development Mechanism in Tackling Climate Change
Using a theoretical framework, we explain the impact of the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) on emissions in Annex I and non-Annex I countries. We show that on one hand, emissions in the non-Annex I country decline because of abatement sponsored by the Annex I country under the CDM; on the other hand, emissions may increase because (i) the Annex I country increases emissions in its own country, and (ii) the non-Annex I country crowds out the bene ts from the CDM projects by increasing its domestic emissions. For the CDM to be e¤ective in reducing global emissions, we show that partial Certi ed Emissions Reduction credits should be given to the Annex I country that sponsors CDM projects in the non-Annex I country. We also suggest that the CDM Executive Board should not allow the CDM projects to be hosted by non-Annex I countries that are too conscious about their emission levels.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 31 Buccleuch Place, EH8 9JT, Edinburgh|
Web page: http://www.sire.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cathrine Hagem & Bjart Holtsmark, 2009. "Does the Clean Development Mechanism have a viable future?," Discussion Papers 577, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Katrina Brown & Esteve Corbera, 2003. "Exploring equity and sustainable development in the new carbon economy," Climate Policy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(sup1), pages S41-S56, November.
- Alan S. Manne & Richard G. Richels, 1999. "The Kyoto Protocol: A Cost-Effective Strategy for Meeting Environmental Objectives?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 1-23.
- Sandrine Mathy & Jean-Charles Hourcade & Christophe de Gouvello, 2001.
"Clean development mechanism: leverage for development?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(2), pages 251-268, June.
- Sandrine Mathy & Jean Charles Hourcade & Christophe De Gouvello, 2001. "Clean development mechanism: leverage for development?," Post-Print halshs-01285635, HAL.
- S. Mathy & Jean Charles Hourcade & C. De Gouvello, 2001. "Clean development mechanism: Leverage for development?," Post-Print hal-00719267, HAL.
- Shrestha, Ram M. & Timilsina, Govinda R., 2002. "The additionality criterion for identifying clean development mechanism projects under the Kyoto Protocol," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 73-79, January.
- Shurojit Chatterji & Sayantan Ghosal, 2009. "Technology, Unilateral Commitments and Cumulative Emissions Reduction," CESifo Economic Studies, CESifo, vol. 55(2), pages 286-305, June.
- Babiker, Mustafa H., 2005. "Climate change policy, market structure, and carbon leakage," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 421-445, March.
- Michaelowa, Axel & Jotzo, Frank, 2005. "Transaction costs, institutional rigidities and the size of the clean development mechanism," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 511-523, March.
- Purohit, Pallav & Michaelowa, Axel, 2007. "CDM potential of bagasse cogeneration in India," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 4779-4798, October.
- Solveig Glomsrød & Wei Taoyuan, 2003.
"Coal cleaning: A viable strategy for reduced carbon emissions and improved environment in China?,"
356, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Glomsrod, Solveig & Taoyuan, Wei, 2005. "Coal cleaning: a viable strategy for reduced carbon emissions and improved environment in China?," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 525-542, March.
- Olsen, Karen Holm & Fenhann, Jørgen, 2008. "Sustainable development benefits of clean development mechanism projects: A new methodology for sustainability assessment based on text analysis of the project design documents submitted for validatio," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2773-2784, August.
- Jung, Martina, 2006. "Host country attractiveness for CDM non-sink projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2173-2184, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:sirdps:166. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.