Efficient Sorting in a Dynamic Adverse Selection Model: The Hot Potato
We study the possibility of achieving efficiency in a dynamic adverse selection market for durable goods. The idea is to use the number of times a car has been traded (``vintage'') as a signal of its quality. Higher-valuation consumers experiment with younger vintages. We first exhibit an impossibility result: no choice of (re)sale prices can induce consumers to follow this experimentation policy. We then show that modified leasing contracts can be constructed so as to achieve efficiency if consumers are patient.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George A. Akerlof, 1970. "The Market for "Lemons": Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500.
- Justin P. Johnson & Michael Waldman, 2010. "Leasing, Lemons, and Moral Hazard," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(2), pages 307-328, 05.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 1997.
"Adverse Selection in Durable Goods Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
6194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
- Maarten C. W. Janssen & Santanu Roy, 2002. "Dynamic Trading in a Durable Good Market with Asymmetric Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 257-282, February.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 2002.
"The Role of Leasing under Adverse Selection,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 113-143, February.
- I. Hendel & A. Lizzeri, 1999. "The Role of Leasing under Adverse Selection," Princeton Economic Theory Papers 99f7, Economics Department, Princeton University.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 1998. "The Role of Leasing under Adverse Selection," NBER Working Papers 6577, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:wc2000:1209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.