Dynamic Market for Lemons with Endogenous Quality Choice by the Seller
We analyze a dynamic market for lemons in which the quality of the good is endogenously determined by the seller. Potential buyers sequentially submit oﬀers to one seller. The seller can make an investment that determines the quality of the item at the beginning of the game, which is unobservable to buyers. At the interim stage of the game, the information and payoﬀ structures are the same as in the market for lemons. Our main result is that the possibility of trade does not create any eﬃciency gain if (i)the common discounting is low, and (ii)the static incentive constraints preclude the mutually agreeable ex-ante contract under which the trade happens with probability one. Our result does not depend on whether the oﬀers by buyers are private or public.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gul, Faruk, 2001.
"Unobservable Investment and the Hold-Up Problem,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(2), pages 343-76, March.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin, 2013. "Unobserved investment, endogenous quality, and trade," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 44(1), pages 33-55, 03.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri, 1997.
"Adverse Selection in Durable Goods Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
6194, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel R. Vincent, 1988.
"Bargaining with Common Values,"
775, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Alessandro Lizzeri, 2003.
"Efficient Sorting in a Dynamic Adverse Selection Model,"
Theory workshop papers
505798000000000098, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Igal Hendel & Alessandro Lizzeri & Marciano Siniscalchi, 2005. "Efficient Sorting in a Dynamic Adverse-Selection Model," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 72(2), pages 467-497.
- I. Hendel & A. Lizzeri & M. Siniscalchi, 2002. "Efficient Sorting in a Dynamic Adverse-Selection Model," Princeton Economic Theory Working Papers 9879581e6de5e61fcfb0cd82b, David K. Levine.
- Stephanie Lau, 2008. "Information and bargaining in the hold-up problem," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 266-282.
- Taylor, Curtis R, 1999. "Time-on-the-Market as a Sign of Quality," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 66(3), pages 555-78, July.
- Raymond Deneckere & Meng-Yu Liang, 2006. "Bargaining with Interdependent Values," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(5), pages 1309-1364, 09.
- Coase, Ronald H, 1972. "Durability and Monopoly," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(1), pages 143-49, April.
- Johannes Hörner & Nicolas Vieille, 2009. "Public vs. Private Offers in the Market for Lemons," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(1), pages 29-69, 01.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Maarten C. W. Janssen & Santanu Roy, 2002. "Dynamic Trading in a Durable Good Market with Asymmetric Information," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(1), pages 257-282, February.
- Diamond, Peter A., 1971. "A model of price adjustment," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 156-168, June.
- Evans, Robert, 1989. "Sequential Bargaining with Correlated Values," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(4), pages 499-510, October.
- Benjamin J. Keys & Tanmoy Mukherjee & Amit Seru & Vikrant Vig, 2010. "Did Securitization Lead to Lax Screening? Evidence from Subprime Loans," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 125(1), pages 307-362, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:29688. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.