Firm Organization and Retail Industry Dynamics
This paper investigates the spatial organization and dynamics of retail markets using establishment level data on entry, exit, and location choice in the retail alcoholic beverage industry. Establishments are classified into two groups based on firm affiliation: chain vs. stand-alone stores. Stand-alone stores are further broken down into two categories according to product lines offered: diversified vs. specialized stores. The organization and dynamics of the various groups differ markedly. The number of chain stores per capita declines significantly with market size, and these stores exhibit lower entry and exit rates in larger markets. This behavior cannot be readily reconciled with the competitive industry theory. In contrast, both the number per capita and the turnover rates of stand-alone stores are invariant to market size, a behavior consistent with that of a competitive industry. These findings suggest a dominant firms-competitive fringe organization as one potential characterization of retail markets.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holmes, Thomas J., 1996. "Can consumers benefit from a policy limiting the market share of a dominant firm?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 365-387, May.
- Steven C. Salop, 1979. "Monopolistic Competition with Outside Goods," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 10(1), pages 141-156, Spring.
- Berck, Peter & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 1988.
"The dynamic annihilation of a rational competitive fringe by a low-cost dominant firm,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 659-678, November.
- Berck, Peter & Perloff, Jeffrey M, 1987. "The Dynamic Annihilation of a Rational Competitive Fringe by a Low-cost Dominant Firm," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt6926m79z, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Jovanovic, B. & Macdonald, G.M., 1988.
RCER Working Papers
160, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Jovanovic, Boyan & MacDonald, Glenn M., 1988. "Competitive Diffusion," Working Papers 88-29, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G.M., 1991. "Competitive Diffusion," Papers 92-08, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Macdonald, G.M., 1988. "Competitive Diffusion," University of Chicago - Economics Research Center 88-10, Chicago - Economics Research Center.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Glenn MacDonald, 1993. "Competitive Diffusion," NBER Working Papers 4463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1988.
"Patterns of Firm Entry and Exit in U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 495-515, Winter.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "Pattenrs Of Firm Entry And Exit In U.S. Manufacturing Industries," Papers 1-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Holmes, Thomas J, 2001.
"Bar Codes Lead to Frequent Deliveries and Superstores,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(4), pages 708-25, Winter.
- Thomas J. Holmes, 1999. "Bar codes lead to frequent deliveries and superstores," Staff Report 261, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ericson, Richard & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Markov-Perfect Industry Dynamics: A Framework for Empirical Work," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(1), pages 53-82, January.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Kyle Bagwell & Garey Ramey & Daniel F. Spulber, 1997.
"Dynamic Retail Price and Investment Competition,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(2), pages 207-227, Summer.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret E. Slade & Craig Brett, 2002. "Spatial Price Competition: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1111-1153, May.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Reiss, Peter C, 1991.
"Entry and Competition in Concentrated Markets,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 977-1009, October.
- Cameron, A Colin & Trivedi, Pravin K, 1986. "Econometric Models Based on Count Data: Comparisons and Applications of Some Estimators and Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(1), pages 29-53, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:wc2000:0005. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.