The Mathematical Decomposition of the Transactions Velocity of Money
This paper is an attempt to decompose the average transactions velocity of money into two or more individual velocities. When the economy-wide velocity is expressed as a weighted average of two disaggregated velocities, this provides an equation with two unknowns. The additional equation can be created from the concept of two versions of the exchange equations; the Fisherian and Cambridge equation. The former represents the Fisherian problem, while the latter the Marshallian problem. Their integration furnishes us with the second equation to solve the system
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter N. Ireland, 1991. "Financial evolution and the long-run behavior of velocity : new evidence from U.S. regional data," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Nov, pages 16-26.
- John A. Weinberg, 1994. "Selling Federal Reserve payment services: one price fits all?," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 1-24.
- Thomas M. Humphrey, 1993. "The origins of velocity functions," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 1-18.
- Barry Eichengreen & Charles Wyplosz, 1993. "The Unstable EMS," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 51-144.
- Davidson, Paul, 1997. "Are Grains of Sand in the Wheels of International Finance Sufficient to Do the Job When Boulders Are Often Required?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(442), pages 671-86, May.
- Paul F. McGouldrick, 1962. "A sectoral analysis of velocity," Federal Reserve Bulletin, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.), issue Dec, pages 1557-1570.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:feam04:550. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.