Structurally Sound Dynamic Index Futures Hedging
Portfolio managers use index futures for a variety of reasons. Regardless of their motivation, they will keep a close eye on the relation between the futures and their stock portfolio returns. Whenever this relation is perceived to have changed, the manager will decide whether it is worthwhile to rebalance the portfolio mix. Exact measures as to when and how much rebalancing should occur, have not yet been established. This paper proposes a heuristic algorithm to dynamically update hedged portfolios. This dynamic hedging algorithm is based on a Reverse Order Cusumsquare (ROC) testing procedure, proposed by Pesaran and Timmermann (2002), to optimally determine forecast estimation windows. In a comparison with standard alternatives (expanding window, EWLS window and rolling window), we find significant improvements in hedging performance, both in- and out-of-samp
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alfonso Novales & J.A. Lafuente, 2002.
"Optimal hedging under departures from the cost-of-carry valuation: evidence from the Spanish stock index futures market,"
Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE
0223, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Lafuente, Juan A. & Novales, Alfonso, 2003. "Optimal hedging under departures from the cost-of-carry valuation: Evidence from the Spanish stock index futures market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1053-1078, June.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2002.
"Tests for Breaks in the Conditional Co-movements of Asset Returns,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2003. "Test for Breaks in the Conditional Co-Movements of Asset Returns," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 3-2003, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003.
"Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Tom Doan, . "MULTIPLEBREAKS: RATS procedure to perform multiple structural change analysis," Statistical Software Components RTS00138, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate examples of Bai-Perron procedure," Statistical Software Components RTZ00008, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "BAIPERRON: RATS procedure to perform Bai-Perron Test for Multiple Structural Changes," Statistical Software Components RTS00013, Boston College Department of Economics.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998. "Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models," Cahiers de recherche 9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Cumby, Robert E & Figlewski, Stephen, 1988.
"Estimation of the Optimal Futures Hedge,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 623-30, November.
- Allan Timmermann & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2002.
"Market Timing and Return Prediction under Model Instability,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp412, Financial Markets Group.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 2002. "Market timing and return prediction under model instability," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 495-510, December.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Allan Timmermann, 2002. "Market timing and return prediction under model instability," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24932, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Edgerton, David & Wells, Curt, 1994.
"Critical Values for the Cusumsq Statistic in Medium and Large Sized Samples,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(3), pages 355-65, August.
- Tom Doan, . "CUSUMTESTS: RATS procedure to compute and display CUSUM and CUSUMQ tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00045, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Gita Persand & Chris Brooks & Simon P. Burke, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: software choice and estimation issues,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(6), pages 725-734.
- Chris Brooks & Simon Burke & Gita Persand, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH Models: Software Choice and Estimation Issues," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2003-07, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Ah-Boon Sim & Ralf Zurbruegg, 2001. "Optimal hedge ratios and alternative hedging strategies in the presence of cointegrated time-varying risks," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 269-283.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-24, April-Jun.
- Tong, Wilson H. S., 1996. "An examination of dynamic hedging," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 19-35, February.
- Darren Butterworth & Phil Holmes, 2000. ""Ex Ante" Hedging Effectiveness of UK Stock Index Futures Contracts: Evidence for the FTSE 100 and FTSE Mid 250 Contracts," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(4), pages 441-457.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:ausm04:80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.