Multivariate GARCH Models: Software Choice and Estimation Issues
A large number of important practical tasks can be accomplished using a multivariate GARCH model. This paper examines the relatively small number of software packages that are currently available for estimating such models, in spite of their widespread use. The review focuses upon estimation issues and differences in available options for controlling the optimisation, and the review then considers an application to the estimation of optimal hedge ratios. Large differences in estimated parameters and standard errors are observed, but these are found to generate only modest differences in optimal hedge ratios and virtually indiscernible differences in model performance measures.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2003|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Applied Econometrics 2003, 18, 725-734|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 218, Whiteknights, Reading, Berks, RG6 6AA|
Phone: +44 (0) 118 378 8226
Fax: +44 (0) 118 975 0236
Web page: http://www.henley.reading.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-131, February.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Fiorentini,G. & Calzolari,G. & Panattoni,L., 1995.
"Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of Garch Estimates,"
9519, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1996. "Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of GARCH Estimates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 399-417, July-Aug..
- Chris Brooks & Olan T. Henry & Gita Persand, 2002. "The Effect of Asymmetries on Optimal Hedge Ratios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Brooks, Chris & Burke, Simon P. & Persand, Gita, 2001. "Benchmarks and the accuracy of GARCH model estimation," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 45-56.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-124, April-Jun.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rdg:icmadp:icma-dp2003-07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie Pearson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.