Crime, Justice, and Growth in South Africa: Toward a Plausible Contribution from Criminal Justice to Economic Growth
Crime in South Africa is high and widely believed to restrain investment. Nevertheless, both the mechanisms through which crime constrains growth and the actions that might be taken to loosen its grip are poorly understood. In light of the limited knowledge in the field and the limited capacity of criminal justice institutions, this paper proposes focusing on two issues: (1) the costs of crime to business, especially household-based enterprises in low-income settlements, and (2) the perception of violent crime. In both cases, the paper proposes a cyclical process of iterative innovation in which government seeks to solve narrowly circumscribed crime problems, and then leverages each success to generate wider hope and confidence in the criminal justice system. [Jointly published as Center for International Development Working Paper No. 131 and KSG Faculty Research Working Paper Series RWP06-038.]
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 79 JFK Street, Cambridge, MA 02138|
Web page: http://www.ksg.harvard.edu/research/working_papers/index.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- da Mata, D. & Deichmann, U. & Henderson, J.V. & Lall, S.V. & Wang, H.G., 2007.
"Determinants of city growth in Brazil,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 252-272, September.
- Da Mata, Daniel & Deichmann, Uwe & Henderson, J. Vernon & Lall, Somik V. & Wang, Hyoung Gun, 2005. "Determinants of city growth in Brazil," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3723, The World Bank.
- Daniel da Mata & U. Deichmann & J. Vernon Henderson & Somik V. Lall & H.G. Wang, 2005. "Determinants of City Growth in Brazil," NBER Working Papers 11585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Daniel da Mata & Uwe Deichmann & J. Vernon Henderson & Somik V. Lall & Hyoung G. Wang, 2005. "Determinants of City Growth in Brazil," Discussion Papers 1112, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Daniel da Mata & Uwe Deichmann & J. Vernon Henderson & Somik V. Lall & Hyoung G. Wang, 2015. "Determinants of City Growth in Brazil," Discussion Papers 0155, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Demombynes, Gabriel & Ozler, Berk, 2005. "Crime and local inequality in South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(2), pages 265-292, April.