Fixed-b Asymptotic Approximation of the Sampling Behavior of Nonparametric Spectral Density Estimators
We propose a new asymptotic approximation for the sampling behavior of nonparametric estimates of the spectral density of a covariance stationary time series. According to the standard approach, the truncation lag grows slower than the sample size. We derive first order limiting distributions under the alternative assumption that the truncation lag is a fixed proportion of the sample size. Our results extend the approach of Neave (1970) who derived a formula for the asymptotic variance of spectral density estimators under the same truncation lag assumption. We show that the limiting distribution of zero frequency spectral density estimators depends on how the data is demeaned. The implications of our zero frequency results are qualitatively similar to exact results for bias and variance computed by Ng and Perron (1996). Finite sample simulations indicate that new asymptotics provides a better approximation than the standard asymptotics when the bandwidth is not small.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 402 Uris Hall, Ithaca, NY 14853|
Phone: (607) 255-9901
Fax: (607) 255-2818
Web page: http://www.arts.cornell.edu/econ/CAE/workingpapers.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005.
"A New Asymptotic Theory for Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests,"
05-08, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005. "A New Asymptotic Theory For Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(06), pages 1130-1164, December.
- Bunzel, Helle & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005.
"Powerful Trend Function Tests That Are Robust to Strong Serial Correlation, With an Application to the Prebisch-Singer Hypothesis,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 381-394, October.
- Bunzel, Helle & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2003. "Powerful Trend Function Tests That Are Robust to Strong Serial Correlation with an Application to the Prebisch-Singer Hypothesis," Staff General Research Papers Archive 10353, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Helle Bunzel & Timothy Vogelsang, 2003. "Powerful Trend Function Tests That are Robust to Strong Serial Correlation with an Application to the Prebisch Singer Hypothesis," Econometrics 0304002, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:corcae:06-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.