Theory and Practice of Inference in Regression Discontinuity: A Fixed-Bandwidth Asymptotics Approach
In regression discontinuity design (RD), researchers use bandwidths around the discontinuity. For a given bandwidth, one can estimate asymptotic variance based on the assumption that the bandwidth shrinks to zero as sample size increases (the traditional approach) or, alternatively, that the bandwidth is fixed. The main theoretical results for RD rely on the former, while most applications in the literature treat the estimates as parametric. This paper develops the "fixed-bandwidth" alternative asymptotic theory for local polynomial estimators, bridging the gap between theorists and practitioners and shedding light on implicit assumptions on both approaches. The fixed-bandwidth approach provides alternative formulas, i.e. alternative approximations, for the bias and variance of RD estimators. Simulations indicate that fixed-bandwidth approximations are usually better than traditional approximations, and improvements are nontrivial when there is heteroskedasticity. When there is no heteroskedasticity, both approximations are shown to be equivalent under some additional mild conditions. Feasible estimators of fixed-bandwidth standard errors are easy to implement and improve coverage of confidence intervals compared to the traditional approach, especially in the presence of heteroskedasticity. Fixed-bandwidth approximations are akin to treating RD estimators as locally parametric, providing theoretical justification for the common empirical practice of using heteroskedasticity-robust standard errors in RD settings.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (504) 865-5321
Fax: (504) 865-5869
Web page: http://econ.tulane.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Imbens & Karthik Kalyanaraman, 2012.
"Optimal Bandwidth Choice for the Regression Discontinuity Estimator,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 79(3), pages 933-959.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Kalyanaraman, Karthik, 2009. "Optimal Bandwidth Choice for the Regression Discontinuity Estimator," IZA Discussion Papers 3995, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido Imbens & Karthik Kalyanaraman, 2010. "Optimal bandwidth choice for the regression discontinuity estimator," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/10, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Guido Imbens & Karthik Kalyanaraman, 2009. "Optimal Bandwidth Choice for the Regression Discontinuity Estimator," NBER Working Papers 14726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hashimzade, Nigar & Vogelsang, Timothy, 2006.
"Fixed-b Asymptotic Approximation of the Sampling Behavior of Nonparametric Spectral Density Estimators,"
06-04, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Nigar Hashimzade & Timothy J. Vogelsang, 2008. "Fixed-b asymptotic approximation of the sampling behaviour of nonparametric spectral density estimators," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 142-162, 01.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521586115 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lee, David S. & Card, David, 2008.
"Regression discontinuity inference with specification error,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 655-674, February.
- David S. Lee & David Card, 2006. "Regression Discontinuity Inference with Specification Error," NBER Technical Working Papers 0322, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jinyong Hahn & Petra Todd & Wilbert Van der Klaauw, 1999. "Evaluating the Effect of an Antidiscrimination Law Using a Regression-Discontinuity Design," NBER Working Papers 7131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, David S., 2008. "Randomized experiments from non-random selection in U.S. House elections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 675-697, February.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007.
"Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Lemieux, Thomas, 2008. "Regression discontinuity designs: A guide to practice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 615-635, February.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Working Papers 13039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCrary, Justin, 2008. "Manipulation of the running variable in the regression discontinuity design: A density test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 698-714, February.
- Fan, Yanqin, 1998. "Goodness-Of-Fit Tests Based On Kernel Density Estimators With Fixed Smoothing Parameters," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(05), pages 604-621, October.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521355643 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tul:wpaper:1302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Watson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.